Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 1999 RR HSE 4.6 and would like to tow it behind our Foretravel diesel motorhome without having to carry it on a trailer. I believe it is NOT possible to tow the vehicle with all four wheels down, however maybe I am mistaken and/or there might be an after market modification to the drive line to permit this. Not certain whether it can be towed on a dolly with only the front wheels supported, but this is also a possible solution vs. the headaches of moving a double axle car trailer around to haul it around. Any advice and/or suggestions? Jerry

·
Registered
543 Posts
If i'm correct you have to put a fuse in bay 11 (think!) to put the transfer box in neutral, however again with out looking i think you could travel for twenty miles at no more 20 mph!
As i said i stand to be corrected, but in a nut shell it would have to be trailered.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Put a Fuse of 5 Amps or Greater in Position No. 11 in Fuse Box under seat, this will Select Neutral in Transfer Box allowing it to be towed on all Four wheels.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
I've driven (steered) a p38 on the end of a rope.
Once the fuses were switched we travelled almost 20miles and may have touched 50mph.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All of the responses provided were very helpful. It appears to me that the fuse solution in position 11 is ok for an emergency "medium distance" towing operation. However the circumstances that this vehicle would have is being pulled thousands of miles, and at speeds of up to 70 miles per hour. I guess anything is possible, assuming that money is no object and the best brains of NASA for focused on this. However I do not really want to spend that kind of money for a solution if one does not exist now. If all "four down" is very unlikely doable, then how about just putting the front wheels on a dolly with the rear wheels trailing behind? Jerry.

·
Registered
543 Posts
No, is the simple reply. This is because the viscous coupling in the transfer will try and turn the fronts.
The only ways would be either;

1 trailer
2 remove both prop shafts, or if raising the front to remove the rear.

Sorry no simple way of doing it.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,259 Posts
And the prop shaft nuts and bolts are a PIA to remove/refit too. /:(
A tow dolly would be the easiest, but having to remove the rear driveshaft every time would get old I think.
I dont think there would be much more to it in dragging an aluminum 2 axle car trailer behind the motorhome vs dragging a P38 myself...

Martin

·
Registered
922 Posts
If you wish to tow a 4WD behind a motorhome then the Suzuki 4wd (Vitara? I think) comes off the assembly line already fitted out for precisely this purpose. You can then attach it with a "Blue Ox" type device and tow to your heart's content. Have a neighbour who has just returned from a 6 month 'expedition' with precisely this setup...

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,259 Posts
90% of 4WD's can be flat towed....
Just the Range Rover can't.
I know on Heeps, you just put the tranny in gear and the transfer case in neutral IIRC. But most rigs do not have permanent 4wd neither...

Martin

1 - 11 of 11 Posts