RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All -

I'm considering a 2016 RR LWB and want it to be able to tow my travel trailer. The specific car I'm considering did not come spec'ed with the tow package from the factory but I've read here that the dealer can install it for about $1,200 or so.

I also read that if you get the dealer to install the package, you won't get the locking rear differential (which you would have received if factory installed). I don't know if that's true but if it is I'm not sure that it makes a big difference to me. Locking differentials have more to do with off-roading than towing, right?

What else is "missing" from the dealer installed tow package? Specific software like trailer sway control or anything else?

Thanks in advance!

·
FOUNDER
638 Posts
Since nobody else replied I will take a crack at this -- I think the locker is the only thing missing -- during my own search I was told the dealer can't install that but YMMV. All the wiring should be included.

Of course as usual Land Rover is still a decade or two behind in the USA towing electrics category (partly because in the UK and Europe they use hydraulic trailer brakes that don't need electricity) so you have to install your own trailer brake controller for which a plug is at least provided under the dash -- a feature we owe to the period of Ford ownership otherwise even that would probably still not exist.

Cheers

John

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,773 Posts
We have a boat trailer that doesn't require a controller. It's really quite nifty and works very well. It senses the forward momentum of braking and applies the appropriate hydraulic pressure to brake evenly with the truck. With the tonnage of a 2450 Trophy fishing boat with full gear for four people and trolling motor on a crib trailer it's nice to have a no brainer trailer.

·
FOUNDER
638 Posts
I agree I don't know why that system is not more widely adopted on this side of the pond, it really makes sense.

Cheers

John

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,773 Posts
Wellllll John, us yanks are more flash than function. Something with more function than bells is frowned upon by many. our old boat trailer is old, common and functional. When I was towing it with the L322 there was no adjusted shift points, no changes in parking sensors etc. But it was flawless. if it were a dumb trailer i would be more than happy with all of the LR trailering bits. We now tow the beast with a big Dodge.

Off topic.... BTW John, you know the old P38 I brought down when Ron was here and we had the get together at the ranch.... The old girl rolled over 362K miles last month. bearings have been doing the rattle thing for about 30K miles... head gaskets and heads about 5k ago... first replacement. Everything save for passenger seat heater still work. transmission is original and serviced religiously, EAS compressor is only the second, Third set of air bags and only the third set of brake pads on the second set of rotors. Who says P38s don;t last....

Just think if the old girl you were caught napping in at the Presidio were still around..... I bet she could tell us a few stories.

Wrong place to say all this but it is so terrific and so great to have you back John... I hope you will stick around and be active. Your first hand knowledge of 405s will be a huge addition to the site like your Classic experiences and write ups, P38 stories and tech experiences and huge contributions with Goldie and working to get the recall on the l322 front diff issues.

The site is and will for ever be in your debt. thanks for given me my start, being a great host and keeping things real and rollin

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover MkIV / L405
34 Posts
I had the dealer add the Tow hitch when I purchased my 2016. The dealer installed the hitch and gave me the tongue kit. I found out later that there are some software items not installed (Must be installed during assembly). Overall it works well, no issues.

Tim

·
FOUNDER
638 Posts
Thanks to rrtoadhall/Carl for the kind if undeserved OT comments about my contributions -- you have contributed more than I! Meanwhile the longevity of the good old P38 is great and not surprising to me -- apart from a few minor electronic issues that vehicle is built like a tank and I once won a small prize for writing an article in its defense for one of the British Land Rover magazines!

On the subject of this thread re towing packages, I too wish the kind of trailer brakes that don't require electronic controllers was more widely used on this side of the pond. Since they are not at least as yet, I will try to remember to post a picture of my installation of a Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller in my L405. At least it was easier than in my previous Range Rovers which all had to be wired manually, but the provided Ford-type connector is actually miswired (there was a TSB on it around May 2016) so one has to do slight mods to the Tekonsha plug. (THis was dealt with on another thread). Maybe the next generation of Range Rover will finally include a trailer brake controller built in like so many American vehicles have for years!

Cheers

John

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
12 Posts
I had the dealer add the Tow hitch when I purchased my 2016. The dealer installed the hitch and gave me the tongue kit. I found out later that there are some software items not installed (Must be installed during assembly). Overall it works well, no issues.

Tim
I just installed the tow bar on my 2017 HSE TD6. I also own the VXDIAG DoIP OBD adapter and laptop with JLR Pathfinder on it. Under the service menu of pathfinder there is an option for Install/Uninstall Tow Bar, when you click it you can install the factory Tow Assist software so that it shows up as an option on Infotainment Center. I don't believe you can install the advanced tow assist 2 with trailer backing assist or whatever its called or the locking differential, but the you can get the basic functionality with sway control and whatever else is included in Tow Assist.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Does anybody know the brake controller wiring adapter for a Prodigy P2? I see the input plug for the brake controller that sits under the dash left of the steering wheel. The plug for that does not match the plug for the brake controller I have. Anybody know what wiring harness works? I’ve searched and searched for any information about this for a 2019 Range Rover but can’t find the right adapter/connecting cable. Any guidance here would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
297 Posts
Does anybody know the brake controller wiring adapter for a Prodigy P2? I see the input plug for the brake controller that sits under the dash left of the steering wheel. The plug for that does not match the plug for the brake controller I have. Anybody know what wiring harness works? I’ve searched and searched for any information about this for a 2019 Range Rover but can’t find the right adapter/connecting cable. Any guidance here would be great. Thanks.
There’s a great sticky on the Range Rover sport forum. I think it might be the same for the Range Rover?
You have to rewire the harness pretty easy with great instructions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Great, thanks! I’ll look for it. I figured it’s got to be fairly easy but my searches specific to the Range Rover wire harness came up empty. I’ll look on that forum. Thanks again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts