RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has installed the land rover tow hitch receiver and electrics to their RRS? Is it simple or do you recommend having Land Rover do it? Also, does anyone have any instructions? PS..anyone selling their hitch, electrics, & ball set? Thanks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Its pretty straightforward.. I have very little mechanical experience and was able to get them installed and everything put back together in about an hour and a half. Best suggestion I can give is be careful pulling out the clips in the interior as I broke 1 of them.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
123 Posts
Rear electrics were fairly easy - just be careful pulling the left tail-light to not scratch the bumper. Also take care in removing the left rear interior panel - broke a clip there.

For mounting a brake controller, I just drilled 2 holes in the knee pad to bolt the controller holder. I remove the controller when not in use but the bracket stays attached to the knee pad. Figure when I remove the bracket I can plug with plastic plugs. Wiring was very easy - just an F-150 connector that was tucked up inside near the steering column and an adapter to the controller. This is the first time I haven't had to splice any wires or make my own harness!! Even the power feed fuse for trailer power was present in the fuse block!

I'm on my 2nd year of towing an 18' enclosed trailer(vintage car racing).

If you are mechanically inclined, the trailer wiring install is easy. Hardest part is figuring out how panels come apart!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the replies. Now I need to go buy the tow hitch, ball kit, and electrics. Anyone know where I can find the best deal? Also, did you all go with the Land Rover Ball Kit or just buy a generic brand? Thanks again!

·
Registered
23 Posts
bputah.com had the best prices I found for both the wiring harness and receiver hitch - though bought my hitch on craigslist. unless you have extra cash to throw around, buy a generic ball mount from U-Haul or other trailer supplier.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Really straight forward, took me an hour on my 2013 RRS, but be careful when ordering part for 2013 and newer, it's a different harness assembly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts