RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pull a 5X10 cargo trailer with my RR. The manual recommends a tow bar that is no more than 11" from pin to the middle of the ball. My local shop only had one that was 12". Does anyone think it will be an issue?

Thanks!

·
Registered
293 Posts
depends on your tounge weight, if its not much, its no big deal, if your paranoid though you can pick up an extender for a normal tow hitch, which isnt bad because you just leave the extender on and then you dont ever have to worry about needing to two something and whatever your hooking up isnt long enough.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gw2doc said:
depends on your tounge weight, if its not much, its no big deal, if your paranoid though you can pick up an extender for a normal tow hitch, which isnt bad because you just leave the extender on and then you dont ever have to worry about needing to two something and whatever your hooking up isnt long enough.
Yeah, I don't know what it is for sure but it can't be too much. Pretty small trailer and we are putting PA equipment in it.

·
FOUNDER
638 Posts
I don't think it shold be a problem unless you are near the towing weight limit I think the one I use is about half an inch longer than recommended and I have never had a problem towing a 4000 lb travel trailer and a ???lb large livestock trailer. YMMV

Cheers

John

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ranger4 said:
I don't think it shold be a problem unless you are near the towing weight limit I think the one I use is about half an inch longer than recommended and I have never had a problem towing a 4000 lb travel trailer and a ???lb large livestock trailer. YMMV

Cheers

John
Thanks John. What is the worse case scenario I wonder? What would actually happen?

·
Registered
293 Posts
The longer something is, the weaker it is at its centerpoint, im pretty sure they are all designed past the max capacities, but in theory you would hit a pump and the tounge weight would increase exponentially on its way back down on the hitch (sort of like every time you take a step or run) and it would snap the bar or bend it or whatever, but you would lose your trailer hopefully it wouldnt be on the interstate going 65mph.

really its not a big deal, what your should worry about isnt the length of your tow hitch, but rather your load weight and tounge weight and the added stress you put on your suspension parts when you choose to two over the recommended weight

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
gw2doc said:
The longer something is, the weaker it is at its centerpoint, im pretty sure they are all designed past the max capacities, but in theory you would hit a pump and the tounge weight would increase exponentially on its way back down on the hitch (sort of like every time you take a step or run) and it would snap the bar or bend it or whatever, but you would lose your trailer hopefully it wouldnt be on the interstate going 65mph.

really its not a big deal, what your should worry about isnt the length of your tow hitch, but rather your load weight and tounge weight and the added stress you put on your suspension parts when you choose to two over the recommended weight

Thanks, I am postive I am not over either weight parameter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts