RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a good all around hitch height that you guys use or recommend? I wouldn't be towing much, but when I do, probably just smaller Uhaul trailer, jetski or motocycle trailers. I know the RR receiver is quite low, so I'm assuming a rise hitch is what I need, but just wondering what a good rise height might be good if I'm only getting one hitch and ball?

Thanks

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts
The height varies on every trailer so there is no standard height for rise or drop. You need to have the correct height to keep trailer level.

One bonus is that with our leveling air suspension the truck maintains a height regardless of tongue weight. You just need to adjust for trailer.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The height varies on every trailer so there is no standard height for rise or drop. You need to have the correct height to keep trailer level.

One bonus is that with our leveling air suspension the truck maintains a height regardless of tongue weight. You just need to adjust for trailer.
Yeah I completely understand that there is not "standard" height, but for the amount I tow I figured I'm just buying one hitch and ball and wanted to try and find an average height that would be ok for most of the smaller trailers I will tow.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts
Without knowing the height of those trailers it's not possible to average out your height needed.

If you buy a 3" rise and they all require 1-2" rise the. None will be correct. If all but one require a 2" and the last needs a 4 I would just get a 2 and leave the high one sit low.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Without knowing the height of those trailers it's not possible to average out your height needed.

If you buy a 3" rise and they all require 1-2" rise the. None will be correct. If all but one require a 2" and the last needs a 4 I would just get a 2 and leave the high one sit low.
Yeah gotcha...the more I research, the more I realize I can't just get an average height hitch and ball.

Thanks for setting me straight. haha

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
4,468 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't the new 2013 and newer RRS fitted with trailer hitch receivers which are positioned higher than our earlier models, so perhaps you actually need a drop instead of a rise? I'm towing a single utility motorcycle trailer behind my 06 RRS with the trailer hitch receiver which sits just below the spare tire, and I'm using a trailer bar/ball pictured below and the trailer rider flat.

·
Registered
861 Posts
IMO, the best is to have the tippy weight of the trailer forward.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,468 Posts
Hey RRS Tex - 3500 miles round trip on this adventure and I got 15 mpg for the entire trip. Ran perfectly - smooth as silk up and down the mountains. Just turned 185K miles and wrapped up an oil change this morning - aiming to see 200K by next year and then maybe get an RRS Diesel or last year LR4...not sure yet! Did 2 easy days on the way out of 600 miles and then pulled a 900/300 combo on the way back just in time to enjoy the super storm last Monday night. Cheers!

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts
Probably a good idea. Every hitch receiver that I have seen is made for a lower ball.
The one in the kit looks to be designed specifically for a raised ball.
They are raise or lower you just flip them....

A 1-1/2" drop is like a 5/8 rise and it goes from there. The drop is typically more than rise but they aren't specific

·
Registered
861 Posts
If you look at the kit on ebay which is what I also have , you will see a triangular strengthening web under the ball.. This is not on the generic receivers.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts
If you look at the kit on ebay which is what I also have , you will see a triangular strengthening web under the ball.. This is not on the generic receivers.
Any Reese or curt that is a rise or drop has a gusset welded into the backside. Drop only has no gusset.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts