RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not towed yet with my truck...on my L322 it took me a bit to find the right length and drop for the tongue....for the L405, where have people found a reasonably priced tongue and what were the specs...also, I assume the plug is set up for plug and play, and no adaptor is needed esp for a Uhaul trailer...Thanks..

·
Registered
623 Posts
i found that down here the u haul folks could care less when i showed up with the manual and trying to figure out the proper tongue weight, length and drop. it was trial and error for me and i was never able to find a u haul that was willing or able to weigh my trailer tongue weight. the 1st tongue was too short and i returned it for a little longer one but that drop was a little too low so i then just flipped it and moved the ball.... its a little too high but not too much i think. If i remember correctly, there are some specs in the manual describing tongue length, % of weight to have on ball, etc....

·
Registered
40 Posts
I recently fitted my L405 for towing and after looking at a few different options this is the set up that fit my needs the best both aesthetically and functionally.

I measured the tongue of the boat trailer I will tow the most and it was 21inches to top of ball.

Attachments

·
Registered
623 Posts
So every set up will be different. I got my tongue at uhaul. Wasnt very expensive - don’t remember exactly how much. The specs sticker has worn off but from the bumper to the center of the ball is 4 3/4” and the top of the ball is 20” from the ground. I have a 5 pin flat trailer plug so I have to use an adapter. Most of the uhaul trailers I’ve seen are 4 or 5 pins.

·
FOUNDER
638 Posts
I found on my L405 that the height of the hitch receiver is almost exactly the same as on my wife's Ford Expedition that we use for towing our various trailers, so I am just using the same ball hitches that seem to work fine. For the livestock trailer we use one with a couple of inches drop rather than a rise, but the travel trailer uses a itch height more akin to the one you show in the pics.

One thing I really like is when the reversing camera is in the (default?) mode with the single line down the middle, it really zeroes in almost exactly on the hitch ball position making it really easy to back up to a trailer fairly accurately.

Cheers

John

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all...I picked up one from Amazon with a cushion inside the shaft to help with the start stop banging...2" drop with a 9.5" length from pin to the center of the ball...On the L322 I left it on all of the time, this one I will just throw on as needed as I hate hitting my shins!

·
Registered
31 Posts
On your L233 did that come with the trailer plug or is that an add on. My 06 has the Reese style 2” hitch but I don’t know where the plug for the lights are

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine was a factory installed unit and so it did come with the electrics...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Where’s your plug located at for your lights, I believe mine is factory also, I bought it used and it’s my first Rover, I have had discovery’s in the past

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For the L322 the plug was just to the side of the tow bar under the bumper...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts