Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all;

I have some questions about pulling a trailer with an L322. Mine is a 2011 Range Rover SC.

I've seen videos of Tow Assist. When I hooked up my trailer, I didn't get the "Has a Trailer Been Connected" question on my screen, nor can I setup a trailer. That screen simply doesn't exist.

I did take it to my dealership, and they charged me $125 to enable trailer recognition.

Did they do it wrong?
Is it possible Tow Assist is an option my RR didn't come with?
Am I just doing something wrong?

Thanks.

John

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,463 Posts

I think you do need the vision assist package for the tow assist to operate.

·
Registered
2011 Range Rover Supercharged
170 Posts
Hello all;

I have some questions about pulling a trailer with an L322. Mine is a 2011 Range Rover SC.

I've seen videos of Tow Assist. When I hooked up my trailer, I didn't get the "Has a Trailer Been Connected" question on my screen, nor can I setup a trailer. That screen simply doesn't exist.

I did take it to my dealership, and they charged me $125 to enable trailer recognition.

Did they do it wrong?

Thanks.

John
Does your trailer have LED lights?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hello all;

Did they do it wrong?

Thanks.

John
Not for signalling or braking. The interior lights are though. They shouldn’t be remotely connected to the towing wiring.
Well if you don’t have LED’s, than the Rover should detect the trailer without issue (assuming the dealer updated the CCF for the tow hitch).
Every time I connect the trailer to my 2011 RR, I get the prompt on the touch screen “Has a trailer been connected”. I also get a little green trailer icon on the LH side of the instrument cluster that flashes in sync with the turn signals. Lastly, my park sensors are also disabled when I engage reverse when a trailer is connected.
Does your vehicle exhibit these last two behaviors when you connect the trailer? If it’s showing the little trailer icon and disables the park sensors, you’re Rover recognizes the trailer.
Lastly, i would point out that the “trailer assist” does require a special triangular decal to be applied to the front face of the trailer. The vehicles cameras use the triangle decal to track the trailer swing when backing up. I should also mentioned that I have NOT applied to he decal to my trailer, so I don’t have full trailer assist functionality, but I still get the “Trailer Connected” prompt and the Ability to configure the trailer type, length, axle to tongue dimensions etc.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright so I think I have figured it out, thanks to a DM from a member here.
my mechanic enabled 1 of 3 codes. Today he enabled the other 3 and its all great. It was recognizing the signal lights, but not full tow assist or the brakes. All should be good now.
my next challenge is getting one of those 3dot triangle stickers, apparently they’re hard to find up here in Canada.

the hunt begins...

·
Registered
170 Posts
Is LR023378 the correct P/N? I’ve been wanting to slap one on my trailer for a while. I would think the dealer could order it for you. The p/n I provided claims it’s only for 2013+ but is available in lots of places online. It sure looks the same as the version shown in the 2011-2012 Trailer assist info videos.

Anybody have better information?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don’t know.
Is LR023378 the correct P/N? I’ve been wanting to slap one on my trailer for a while. I would think the dealer could order it for you. The p/n I provided claims it’s only for 2013+ but is available in lots of places online. It sure looks the same as the version shown in the 2011-2012 Trailer assist info videos.

Anybody have better information?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If someone with a 2011-2012 RR could give us dimensions of the sticker and the dots, we’d be able to know for sure.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I just ordered 3 stickers for $6.98 from the dealer website (Rocklin). It says LR023378 for the '10-'12 so it does sound like the stickers are the same.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Three stickers for $6.98 total or each? If that was total for all three, my local dealer is trying to f*ck me. My dealer just quoted me $13.11 EACH!
I’ll buy one of yours for $10 shipped to Portland, OR

·
Registered
2016 Ranger Rover V8 Supercharged
12 Posts
Alright so I think I have figured it out, thanks to a DM from a member here.
my mechanic enabled 1 of 3 codes. Today he enabled the other 3 and its all great. It was recognizing the signal lights, but not full tow assist or the brakes. All should be good now.
my next challenge is getting one of those 3dot triangle stickers, apparently they’re hard to find up here in Canada.

the hunt begins...
Can you share the information – which codes? I am having a similar issue on a 2016 RR that the dealer installed the hitch and 7pin wiring harness.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sadly I don't remember. I've sent him an email to ask him.
Thanks, I’ve had the car back to the shop twice now and they were finally able to get the connections/trailer recognition system working - albeit with a 4 pin connector. Our trailer connects with the 7 wire connector and I may need to rewire our trailer side plug to match the RR wiring order.
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So this may be a different than my issue. I could always control my breaks and lights. It was just the tow assist features that I couldn’t figure out.
To be honest, I think it was as much user error as anything else. I didn’t know that the tow assist controls were buried under the cameras menu on the stereo. I don’t know that my mechanic did anything to enable that which wasn’t there already.

·
Registered
12 Posts
So this may be a different than my issue. I could always control my breaks and lights. It was just the tow assist features that I couldn’t figure out.
To be honest, I think it was as much user error as anything else. I didn’t know that the tow assist controls were buried under the cameras menu on the stereo. I don’t know that my mechanic did anything to enable that which wasn’t there already.
Sorry, yes, there was also some programming that hadn’t happened. Not it’s programmed properly - just need to confirm the connection with the 7wire plug

thanks again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Three stickers for $6.98 total or each? If that was total for all three, my local dealer is trying to f*ck me. My dealer just quoted me $13.11 EACH!
I’ll buy one of yours for $10 shipped to Portland, OR
The dealership where we purchased our CPO Range Rover wanted $30 for the decal. I went to another local dealer and paid $8.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts