RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
[for clarity, "Owner SIM Module" is specified here since there's also an embedded SIM in the vehicle for the SOS (and some other) functions.]

Upon taking delivery of my L494 late last month, the AT&T SIM worked as expected, but I turned off Mobile Data before driving home.

Upon trying to enable it recently, I got a "SIM not supported" message, coupled with a "G" with a slash through it in the upper right corner of the display. That behavior had been consistent across a span of several days, so I scheduled a service visit to have my most local dealership take a look.

They updated Phase 2.5 software to Phase 3.0 (according to their documentation, anyway), and called to report that the software update was complete, and the AT&T SIM was working and connecting as expected.

I arrived at the dealership 20 minutes later, surprised to see my truck pulled back into the service bay, idling, with a service tech in the passenger seat. My SA told me that it had been working after the update, but now it's not again, and moreover, it's not working with a known good SIM they pulled out of some other vehicle.

"You can leave the truck with us to run the full diagnostic tree we need to, or bring it back sometime soon so we can do that and open up a case with JLR."

I opted for the latter, and was a bit miffed to get into my truck to find large splotches of fingerprints that'd only been haphazardly wiped (seemingly with something dry -- a sin in my book).

An important note: I haven't yet accepted any Privacy Policies nor EULAs for InControl. I have no plan to do so. I will gladly accept AT&T's, which, based on the dialogue prompt upon enabling Mobile Data, is the only agreement upon which Mobile Data functionality is contingent. To add some heft to that theory, the car's software works just fine when connecting to an external wireless network, leading me to believe that real-time traffic data, weather, and other networked functionality is in fact not contingent on the acceptance of (what are almost surely) superfluous policies and agreements (none of which, interestingly, seem to have been updated with GDPR-oriented clauses/language).

I called the InControl support team yesterday and was surprised that they were unable to tell me whether acceptance of the InControl EULAs/privacy policies were required for the Owner SIM Module to function properly, and that "only a dealership's service manager would be able to find out" for me.

Does anyone have any similar experiences or thoughts, in any Touch Pro Duo-equipped models (L405/L494/L560)?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the 'SIM not supported' issue in my new MY18 SVR. Took it back to the dealer and they fixed it with a 'hard reset' whatever that is.

While waiting for my dealer appointment, I ran the car for a few days with my iPhone data connection tethered to the car and signed up for InControl so I don't think acceptance of their terms and conditions for InControl is linked to the SIM error.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)
I spoke to AT&T today -- wish I'd reached out to them sooner -- but it turns out that something called a "Wholesale/Retail Work Order" for my vehicle, which would include my SIM ICCID, name, and email (maybe other things too?) had, according to AT&T, not been submitted by the dealership to AT&T.

It's a bit odd, and something I'm having the dealership that sold me the truck look into.

There's a chance that the dealership's done everything right on their end, and that my abstinence from accepting the T&C/privacy policies at incontrol.landrover.com has the "Wholesale/Retail Work Order" submission stuck in the pipeline.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My issue was in fact physical; the contact pins didn't (all) reach the SIM. I managed to fix it with a small shim that was just a small square of gorilla tape on the backside of the SIM.

I was glad it worked, and tried another (Project Fi) data-only SIM with a microSIM adapter around it, and a similar gorilla tape shim, and was pleased to see it connected.

When removing that, though, it mangled up the contact pins in a pretty bad way.

It didn't work before I ****** it up, and now because of the apparent damage, I'd bet my "friendly" local dealership service department--who wanted several days with it to run a "diag tree" on it since they couldn't figure it out when I was in for the sw update--isn't likely to replace it under warranty.

But maybe they will. I mean, the vehicle connected to AT&T's network at least once (twice, I think) w/ the tape shim, so that logged session + their previous inability to get it working should show it was problematic before I decided to troublesnipe.

I figure since I'd rather not even make a trip to the dealership at least twice (more time-poor than anything else), I'm buying a full-size SIM variant of the same unit. It's got the same connectors front and back. It might throw a DTC about the wrong variant of the front remote media connection interface/AVIO unit, but I could honestly use the extra space to properly plastic-weld a fi nanoSIM inside a SIM adapter and not have the same thing happen again.

The SIM card issue ultimately had absolutely nothing to do w/ the T&C/privacy policy acceptance, but I wasn't able to activate the SIM w/ AT&T until after I accepted those, so take from that what you will.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts