RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bled the brakes 3 weeks ago I used the proper torque to put the wheels back on.

Yesterday I heard a u-joint/cv joint type clicking/knocking when turning corners. Visual inspection showed two lugs on the drivers rear wheel were almost completely backed out and when I tightened everything up the other three were about 1 turn loose. Checked all the other lugs and were still torqued properly. Driving around the clicking/knocking was gone so that must have been the culprit.

What's up with that? Is this normal for Rovers? Is this why there is a bumper sticker at British Atlantic that says "Watch for falling parts."

·
Registered
334 Posts
The torque I use for wheel nuts is 200lb at the end of a breaker bar. My wheel nuts stay firmly in place ;)

·
Registered
523 Posts
I have used a torque wrench on some occasions and not on others and not had a problem either way. And that goes for any car I've owned.

I guess if the wheel wasn't seated properly it would be possible to achieve the 'right' torque but still have the wheel come loose, but the same situation could come from just using a tyre wrench. Or is there any chance your torque wrench is way out of calibration?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Because all the other wheels lugs are tight I am assuming the wheel was not seated properly when I torqued it. My torque wrench calibration is good as of 2 years ago and checks good against lug torque checks on my Porsche at racing events. The way the wheels go on the hubs with those huge lug nuts that don't really center the wheel up like I am used to on other vehicles seems to have thrown me a curve.

·
Registered
334 Posts
If they come loose again, you could look into some thread-lock (with anti-seize properties).

If much driving was done with loose wheel-nuts, you may have slightly deformed the nuts and/or the socket.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not over 10 miles, but I will keep an eye on it and recheck torque periodically.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts