RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
92 SWB 3.9 with LT230 and TruTack in the front and Detroit in the rear. Sometimes under acceleration but certainly on deceleration at highway speed I get a little torque steer. I thought it might be due to: swivel balls, pan hard bushings, pan hard rod length, tie rod ends, so I replaced all the above to include an adjustable pan hard bar to recenter the front diff, but I’m still getting the torque steer. It’s not unsafe, and it could have been like this for a while and I’ve just forgotten (just returned from a deployment) what it drove like, but doesn’t seem natural.

Any ideas where to look next?

it’s on a 4” lift with 6deg cranked radius arms and rovertym rear arms.

·
Registered
1989 Range Rover Classic
152 Posts
Did you check if you have a brake that's dragging? Maybe a frozen caliper piston that's holding the brake on wheel. If you have an infrared thermometer (the hand held laser type, $15 from amazon), I'd go for a long enough drive where you feel the drag to one side, then stop and quickly get out and point the thermometer at each brake disc. If one is measurably hotter than the other, it's dragging.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you check if you have a brake that's dragging? Maybe a frozen caliper piston that's holding the brake on wheel. If you have an infrared thermometer (the hand held laser type, $15 from amazon), I'd go for a long enough drive where you feel the drag to one side, then stop and quickly get out and point the thermometer at each brake disc. If one is measurably hotter than the other, it's dragging.
good thought! I’ll try that tomorrow but I did just do a safety check looking at pads and rotors and they all seem to be wearing at the same rate. .

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
136 Posts
classic problem. back out of the gas and the truck wants to change lanes. rear suspension bushings are worn. tighten up all the bolts on the rear suspension, then drive it; you'll notice the difference. when you change to new bushings it will surprise you how stable your truck was when new!
geneo

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
classic problem. back out of the gas and the truck wants to change lanes. rear suspension bushings are worn. tighten up all the bolts on the rear suspension, then drive it; you'll notice the difference. when you change to new bushings it will surprise you how stable your truck was when new!
geneo
Thanks! Should I do polybushings then? The ones I have on now are less than a year old and less the 2K miles

·
Registered
1989 Range Rover Classic
152 Posts
If you choose to go poly, I highly recommend PolyBush in the UK, they're definitely expensive, but actually good quality. There are all kinds of cheap poly bushings out there that don't last at all and are way too stiff (ruins the ride), but polybush are pretty high quality and they have their blue "comfort" line that feels just like rubber, as well as firmer options too. I went though three rounds of rubber (also didn't last, all the "factory" stuff now is cheap garbage rubber made in china) before finally biting the bullet and buying polybush.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any chance you have a link to the ones you suggest?

·
Registered
1989 Range Rover Classic
152 Posts
Any chance you have a link to the ones you suggest?
Yes I do, here you go

There's a dropdown menu right above the price for each one that lets you select the firmness. Somewhere else on the website they explain the difference between the three levels. AB and some other sites sell them as well, but usually not all of them in all firmness levels, so I ended up just ordering direct from them to get the ones I wanted.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes I do, here you go

There's a dropdown menu right above the price for each one that lets you select the firmness. Somewhere else on the website they explain the difference between the three levels. AB and some other sites sell them as well, but usually not all of them in all firmness levels, so I ended up just ordering direct from them to get the ones I wanted.
Thanks my firmed! Some friends of mine hade some yellow Brit parts ones and I installed them just as a test and sure enough the dive and torque steer is gone. I’ll replace the Brit part one when the polybush come in

1 - 9 of 9 Posts