RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we recently purchased a Range Rover. We were told it needed tires when we purchased from the Land Rover dealership and we thought no big deal because we would be slapping some 18" wheels on it anyways.

Well it has turned into a small problem so far. When we picked the Rover up, we noticed that it has some very noticeable torque steer, but we summed it up as needing tires because it also liked to track any straight grove in the road.

Recently we got the new set of 18" rims and added the Cooper tires, and guess what? The torque steer is still there. It is bad enough that we can not drive the Rover in fear of having an accident.

Monday we took it in to have it looked at.

thus far they say there is a problem and pointed that problem at the over size tires.

After a small talk, I think they are dismissing the tires as the source of the problem and are looking further at it.

I must thank Land Rover for digging into the problem.

Anyone have this problem?

It happens when you hit the gas or let of the gas. The Rover will pull to the right hard during acceleration.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Hate to suggest it but If its used it sounds like it may have been in a front end accident that bent something essential. Did you do an HPI check or equivalent? These RR big boys track straight as a die under acceleration and otherwise.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I agree, as long as alignment and balance is good, and if the driving surface is level, you should not have pulling in any particular direction. That really goes for any vehicle, although heavier ones do have an easier time maintaining the straight line because it takes more energy to make them change course (proportionately anyway, no need to get pedantic).

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for the worry :pray:
But as it turns out, Land Rover really hit the mark on this one and did not send me away saying replace wheels with factory wheels and tires and bring back to us if it still does it.

It came down to a Joint on RR toe link had excessive play. They replaced and did a rear wheel alignment and sent me on my way as a very happy customer.

Cheers to Pioneer Centers

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Sounds like they failed to do the initial alignment properly. Control arms, toe-in, etc., etc., should have been adjusted/checked previously, they probably rushed and didn't see it the first time, and we all assumed that since they already "did the alignment" it must be something else. It was more than just an adjustment needed, but still should have been noticed IMO.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts