RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently sent the ECU on my 2002 4.6HSE to Mark Adams at Tornado Systems in the UK to have it remapped as my 4.6 lives in the mountains of Utah and it was always struggling up mountain roads.

Spoke to Mark about the car living at 7,500ft above sea level and the sort of driving I do when out here. He suggested a performance remap and I sent the ECU to him. It took approx 10 days from me sending it to him to receiving it back on the east coast. I just got back to Utah and reinstalled the ECU.

Its like driving a whole different car. The best way to describe the difference is that I felt like the car was operating with one lung and after the remap, operating with both lungs. The torque curve is smoother and there is none of the flat spot that was previously evident at between3-4k rpm. The car revs beyond 5k rpm now and the transmission is much smoother. Merging onto a freeway and getting up to 75mph is so smooth and feels a lot easier. Engine doesn't seem to be laboring as much.

Same with driving up mountain roads. Whereas before the remap, on certain long stretches of mountain roads, I had to build up momentum and have my foot flat to the floor and leaning forward to urge the car to struggle up the road without dropping below 40mph, now post remap, no planning ahead to gain momentum before the incline, foot was halfway depressed and car was easily doing 50mph up the long incline and engine did not sound like it was about to blow up from the constant downshifting to keep momentum.

In my book, the 500 Pounds it cost was well worth it. I used to complain about the sluggishness of the 4.6 compared to my daily L405 supercharged. Not any more. If anyone is considering doing this, I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
That sound like a good 500 quid well spent, however if the remap is to help your car breath easier at 7,500 ft how will the remap help our cars that at best only manage to to climb a large curb with a tarquine in the back on the school run.

·
Super Moderator
2,318 Posts
It isn't an off the shelf remap. You speak to Mark Adams, tell him what car you have and what you would like ot achieve and he writes a custom map for you. In Dtan's case, he had a particular requirement so a map was written to get the best out of his car in the circumstances. I do a lot of towing and would like more bottom end grunt so a map for me would be different to his.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
313 Posts
What is the contact info for these guys? I sent them an email once asking about this and they never replied.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have never managed to get a reply either, despite a detailed email outlining the vehicle condition, what I was looking to do and asking their advice on a chip map that would meet that need and how much and when they could do it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It took a bit of work to get through to Mark Adams. I had emailed a bunch but finally got through after several calls. Mark is super helpful and discussed various other minor other ways to improve performance. Mine included installing a D2 thermostat to lower operating temp of the car. It involves different hoses etc but Mark put a whole package together and sent me instructions with photos.

So just call him the the morning UK time and keep trying until you get him. They have been swamped with projects hence his lack of response on email.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Thanks for the info although I don't really like having to pay for a long distance call when someone has an email address.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks for the info although I don't really like having to pay for a long distance call when someone has an email address.
I think you are showing your age Gordo. It's cheap to call the UK nowadays, free to landlines on my mobile plan.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Free email with zero result or $1 call and remapped ecu. The math is simple.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts