RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
I Have just brought a second hand top tailgate from E-Bay the guy was local to me and he's breaking an 1986 4 door which has surcome to the old tin worm!!
Now i picked it up today it was abit grubby,but once at home i gave it a wash over and its in very good condition,and at first i thought it was an alloy one but it appears to be a steel one, i think it may be an OE replacement tailgate,i have had a quick look over it but cannot find anything to confim this,does anybody now how to?.
Thanks valveboy

1993 RRC 4.2 LSE
1988 RRC 3.5 EFI
1996 Disco 300 tdi ES

·
Registered
127 Posts
I don't know a lot about them but I think all of the aftermarket ones, and there's only a couple, are alloy. So, if that's steel,it must be OE.

Dave

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
100 Posts
The real giveaway is the weight, although if you are not sure what a steel one weighs it is more difficult to tell!

OE tailgates do wiegh a fair bit, ally ones feel more manouverable. Take a magent and see if it sticks (assuming there is steel left :twisted: ), if no sticking then it is ally.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Theres a good chance its a replacement OE one. My brother is a windscreen fitter and he once changed a rear top tailgate on a classic as an insurance job. The new one was from land rover and was the complete unit, not just the glass.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi All
Have confirmed its an OE replacement! was out and about yesterday and saw a 1995 M reg 4.2 autobiography classic 100in wheelbase,what a motor!and the top tailgate was the same as what i got at the weekend,had a quick chat with the owner and he said he had the car for a number of years and it was the original tailgate.
Valveboy

1993 LSE
1988 3.5 EFI
1996 Disco ES

1 - 5 of 5 Posts