RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are lots of options out there. Too many is the problem. I need to buy a torque wrench to do a brake job for my in laws bechiles and I’m away from my tools. I will need a torque wrench and will keep it for work on my P38A prices vary widely from 3/8” to 1/2” drive to 12.5 to 200 ft pounds. I’m leaning towards one without batteries and a motherboard that can crap out in the future. What wrench’s do you guys use love and recommend? I want to buy one to last for 40 years. Thoughts?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,773 Posts
Digital is a gimmick. get a trusty old fashioned 1/2" that you dial in... also called a clicker. 3/8" ends up being abit too wimpy for some engine work. You dial it in to the desired torque lock the handle and gives a very audible click when you reach the setting. When fished loosen it back to zero to maintain the calibration. store it in it's original packaging and box.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks RRTH. I Plan on buying a clicker. The 1/2” seems the way to go. I just worry that it will be too long to get under fenders for brake job/ caliper bracket and rotor work what is what I need to do. Kobalt 3/8” from Lowes for $40 includes a lifetime replacement on the calibration. All metal no plastic crap and if it ever acts up or breaks they swap it out no questions asked. I go to Lowes twice a week so for fuel savings alone I might go with this one.

·
Registered
288 Posts
No reason you can't put an extension on this. Takes a bit more care to hold everything in line but does not affect the torque readings.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Don’t know if you have over the pond, I use Halfords professional, life time warranty so worth the extra cost, comes in 3/8 or 1/2

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,240 Posts
There really is no one size fits all.
I have 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2".
For general stuff I guess I'd get a 3/8" though. Cant remember using the 1/2" on engine work, unless it was a crank bolt on a BMW motor

Martin

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I think they are called "micrometer adjustable" torque wrenches. I have a short handled 3/8" and a longer 1/2", at least one is SK brand. Careful, tools are an addiction and I'm not aware a any 12 step process to cure.

·
Registered
222 Posts
For torque wrenches, my advice would be to buy the best you can afford.
I have seen too many stripped threads and they have taught me the wisdom of that.

·
Registered
46 Posts
For Christmas, I received a very nice CDI brand 1/2" torque wrench (click-type) to replace my ailing Craftsman one that's pushing 10+ years. Got that one shortly out of high school and probably could have taken better care of it. Now that I know how to properly store one, hopefully this CDI wrench will last quite a bit longer (it was about twice the price of the Craftsman). Supposedly CDI makes the torque wrenches for some of the big name tool companies.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts