RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
New 2012 RRS SC owner here. I continue to be amazed at how freaking fast and capable our cars are, especially for such a heavy vehicle. I cant imagine what driving the aluminum-bodied SVR must be like.
This weekend I was out for a drive with my 13 yr old son, we stopped at a red light next to some big badass muscle car, all rumbling and popping. It sounded like a REALLY big, torquey motor in there. he kept revving and was obviously planning to hit it hard on green, presumably to impress the cute girl in his passenger seat. My son dares me to try and even keep up with him. Normally I'd have automatically said no, but sometimes the devil whispers to me :)
I push the shifter into sport mode and selected the dynamic program, left foot holding on the brake and the right holding just over 1000RPM on the throttle to pre-load the torque converter. The light goes green, I drop the brake and simultaneously floor the throttle. We both take off hard, I get not one bit of wheelspin (thankyou 4WD!), some nice supercharger whine, and I see out the corner of my eye my son getting pushed back hard in his seat and the muscle car already diminishing in the side mirror. It felt like we hit 50mph almost immediately. Our little old RRS totally destroyed the big bad muscle car in a straight out drag. It wasn't even close. I'm now convinced that the published 0-60 times (5.9 secs) must be incredibly conservative (gonna need to do some further 'research' `) )
We drove the rest of the way home obeying the speed limit and in extreme comfort, even more impressed at the capability of our new-to-us car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Nice Vid 4wd.

@justniz, I am new to this forum as i now have a 2011 RRS SC. For a heavy machine, it moves pretty well. I love how solid it is but then can move when you hit the gas. I have the same engine in my Jag XFR, so I already sort of liked the engine lol.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm now convinced that the published 0-60 times (5.9 secs) must be incredibly conservative (gonna need to do some further 'research' `) )
One of the mags was getting a consistent 5.2. My butt dyno can confirm. And you are in a place with dry air and low altitude so that doesn't hurt.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Yeah - the non-supercharged one is definitely not as fast - 8 sec to 60 ? I got blown away by a Tesla on the on ramp - but he would not be able to keep up with me on the trail 🙂 sport mode makes the truck a lot more responsive - and still quite impressive for a 3 ton vehicle !

·
Registered
480 Posts
Maybe -- but I think my 375 hoss 2013 was as fast as my 08 RRS/SC with 390. Partially due to lighter body; maybe a better transmission set up. Still, I too have dusted some folks just to see the surprised look . . . "O, WTF, was that!"

Even LR3s were sometime surprising.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I love the 375 hp NA v8 because you really get to enjoy the engine and rev it out. That being said, I drive a 510 supercharged Full size from time to time and the power is nothing short of fun!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts