RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Keep having issues with my L320 with the 4.4l V8. What was initially diagnosed as bad oxygen sensors throwing codes that the engine is running both too lean and too rich now appears to be an internal issue with too much air in the engine affecting the fuel/air mixture and the performance of the engine. Anyone with experience of this and how it was resolved?

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
120 Posts
Hi,

Keep having issues with my L320 with the 4.4l V8. What was initially diagnosed as bad oxygen sensors throwing codes that the engine is running both too lean and too rich now appears to be an internal issue with too much air in the engine affecting the fuel/air mixture and the performance of the engine. Anyone with experience of this and how it was resolved?
I'm betting you have a vacuum leak. Since our cars have mass airflow sensors, any air that gets into the intake tract AFTER the sensors will cause issues just like you describe.

I actually just purchased an "automotive smoke machine" yesterday on Amazon. (I realize you are in Kenya but I'm sure you can find one somewhere)

There are alternative methods but that's the most visual.

Some way or another, you need to figure out if unmetered (i.e. bypassing MAF sensor) air is entering the engine.

Check every single location along the intake tract, also check all your PCV hoses.

Also - clean your Mass Airflow Sensor with Mass Airflow Sensor cleaner - there is a company here in the US called "CRC" that makes it. I doubt that's causing your issue but it's worth a shot.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts