RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Scams on autotrader are as common as anywhere else. What they do is steal people's pictures from other autotrader ads (mostly from previous ads, but some are stupid enough to use the same pictures as ads that are currently on the site) as well as the vin. What they usually do is post a fake contact number as well. When you call, it goes to a fax line. Not all do this, though. When you email them, they will reply with a LONG reply such as the following:

(i am copying and pasting from an email that I received when I inquired on a vehicle a while back):
Hello,
The car is still available for sale. The asking price is $46000 and the VIN is WBSEK93568CY79261.
The car is registered on my name and the title is clear (no lien). It is in great condition, no dents or scratches.
It was always garaged and the regular maintenance was done in time. It wasn't involved in any accident and has never suffered any kind of damage.
Also this is a non-smoker car. Let me know if you need more photos or a carfasx. If you have any questions regarding the car just let me know!
I had a buyer offering $49000 and I've lost about 2 weeks waiting for him to pay just to find out in the end that his loan wasn't approved.
I've lowered the price because I'm in desperate need of cash it's either the car or the house so if you don't need a loan you can have it.
I can have the car delivered to your address in about 3-4 days to test and inspect it for 7 days. ( the shipping fees will be handled by me ) .
I have a friend who works for a shipping company and he can offer me a great deal with them. The vehicle is allready prepared for shipping.
I'm currently signed up for a protection program offered by Google Checkout and I would like to close the deal through them.
If you are not aware of this program, you should know that it will allow you to test drive and inspect the car before paying me.
You will have a 7-day inspection period to decide whether you want to keep the car or not before they release the funds to me.
If you are still interested and have cash just send me your Google id (www.GoogleCheckout.com) and I'll ask them to fill you in with the transaction details.
I don't want to offend you, but the car is priced for a fast sale so please if you intend to apply for a loan or financing do not reply to this message!
Look forward hearing from you.

This is just one type of scam on there. The easiest way to make sure you are not wasting time is ask for a picture of the vin. Most scammers will not reply from that point. If you do get a reply and everything seems to check out and the person has provided their real contact info, just run a carfax. The cars above could be real but have a salvaged title, you never know. As always, just use your common sense. If the person is selling their car for 10k+ under KBB value, its more than likely a scam or a salvaged vehicle...

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
808 Posts
Look for clues. Like....oh, I dunno...in the first posted ad, a seller who is allegedly from Barrytown, MI, but who puts up a picture of his truck with palm trees in the background. `)

Could there be a perfectly legit explanation for that? Sure. I'll go Occam's Razor on this one....

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
IMMensaMind said:
Look for clues. Like....oh, I dunno...in the first posted ad, a seller who is allegedly from Barrytown, MI, but who puts up a picture of his truck with palm trees in the background. `)

Could there be a perfectly legit explanation for that? Sure. I'll go Occam's Razor on this one....
Nice IMMM. And I don't want to contradict you, but do a search on "Michigan palm." I pulled this from the Wikipedia link,

"Michigan palm timber is valuable for ship building, furniture, barrels, baskets, and fuel. The palm coconuts, a valuable wildlife food eaten by squirrels, chipmunks and deer, were once widely used by Native Americans after the nuts were boiled to remove the tannin. This resource is available from southeastern Canada to mid-Florida and northwest to Minnesota."

·
Registered
56 Posts
I had a offer like that little while ago I was looking to buy a 2010 supercharged used sport....contacted the guy on that site he had it listed for a great price(seemed to good to be true) well it was too good to be true he wanted payment over the internet and so on and said the Google check out would hold the funds and what not...obviously it was a scam once he wouldn't go too far into detail about the vehicle and his information so I just forgot about it... unfortunately there are people gullible enough to fall for scams like this out there and get taken for thousands and have to go through months of head ache just to get there money back(hopefully)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haha dang man. I appreciate it. You nailed it. Here is the guys response on the black one.
Lots of similarities.

"Hi,

Thank you for being interested in buying my 2008 Land Rover Range Rover Sport Supercharged, 8,950 miles, Transmission: Automatic.
The car is registered on my name and the title is clear. It is in great condition, no dents or scratches.
It was always garaged and the regular maintenance was done in time. It wasn't involved in any accident and has never suffered any kind of damage. Also this is a non-smoker car. If you have any questions regarding the car just let me know! My final price on it is US $21,900. It is priced to sell fast !
I had a buyer offering $24,500 and I've lost about 2 weeks waiting for him to pay just to find out in the end that his loan wasn't approved, so if you don't need a loan, you can have it.
I can have the car delivered to your adress in about 4-5 days (the shipping fees will be handled by me). I decided to make this transaction through eBay. I believe this protects both buyer and seller and it's the right way to do this.
So don't get me wrong and don't take it personally but I would prefer to secure the deal through eBay.
I will be assured you will buy the car and you will be assured that you will receive it! Basically the money will be sent to them and they will keep the money until you receive the car and only after you inspect and drive it they will forward the money to me.
I don't want to offend you, but the car is priced for a fast sale so please if you intend to apply for a loan or financing do not reply to this message!
James Bitterman"

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
However, here is my conversation with the other guy (orange one). What do you think?

Him:
"Hello David!
I appreciate that you contacted me. First let me say that the Range Rover Supercharged is available for $12,750.
One of the cleanest Range Rover Supercharged for sale anywhere. 2006 with only 58000 miles. A Range Rover Supercharged with Rear DVD entertainment system, integrated 6.5" LCD displays in back of rear headrests, 6-disc DVD changer, (2) wireless headphones, touchscreen interface, remote control, Bluetooth technology, electronically controlled infinitely variable locking rear differential, All-terrain Dynamic Stability Control, Xenon Headlamps plus many many more features. One of the best all around driving cars you can buy. A Totally Rust, Corrosion And Flood Free Vehicle.Never been in any accidents.Clear title.
Where are you located?
The reason why I'm selling it's my divorced settlement.....
If you have any further questions please do not hesitate ask.

Best Regards"

Me:
"Okay I'm very interested, as long as it's a trouble free vehicle. I am located in Georgia so it's a long haul. So i wanna make sure of everything before i use time and money to drive there. How are the tires and how does it drive? Do you have anymore photos? Also, was it your wifes car or yours...just curious haha thanks. "

Him:
"It is.. No problems at all.

70% tires. the car was my'n ..

pictures attached.

I don't want to sell it at the real price because my x'wife will be awarded most of the money,
the lower the sticker price,the less i have to give to her, got it?"

G

·
0 Posts
devman123 said:
Haha dang man. I appreciate it. You nailed it. Here is the guys response on the black one.
Lots of similarities.

"Hi,

Thank you for being interested in buying my 2008 Land Rover Range Rover Sport Supercharged, 8,950 miles, Transmission: Automatic.
The car is registered on my name and the title is clear. It is in great condition, no dents or scratches.
It was always garaged and the regular maintenance was done in time. It wasn't involved in any accident and has never suffered any kind of damage. Also this is a non-smoker car. If you have any questions regarding the car just let me know! My final price on it is US $21,900. It is priced to sell fast !
I had a buyer offering $24,500 and I've lost about 2 weeks waiting for him to pay just to find out in the end that his loan wasn't approved, so if you don't need a loan, you can have it.
I can have the car delivered to your adress in about 4-5 days (the shipping fees will be handled by me). I decided to make this transaction through eBay. I believe this protects both buyer and seller and it's the right way to do this.
So don't get me wrong and don't take it personally but I would prefer to secure the deal through eBay.
I will be assured you will buy the car and you will be assured that you will receive it! Basically the money will be sent to them and they will keep the money until you receive the car and only after you inspect and drive it they will forward the money to me.
James Bitterman"
haha, nailed it!

regarding the other guy- ask him for a picture of the VIN, and if he has the title in his hand in his name. Also run the carfax.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Ive know a couple people to get rid of assets and possessions on the cheap due to divorce. Not saying the seller is on the up and up, but man if you could find a middle man to secure the cash until delivery...

Nevermind, the car is no longer listed..e

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep my dad got a steal on his motorcycle that way. I emailed him to see if we can meet in person. We'll see what he says.

·
Registered
204 Posts
It's a total scam. I had a similar experience when I was looking for a BMW 750li. I got the same story as the one posted above about how he'll ship the car to me at his expense, have 7 days to inspect it, blah, blah, blah. I told the guy to go get a life.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
He emailed back saying he was in California and could meet me there and asked how soon I would be there. But the ad said Michigan. Not sure what to think now. And i googled his email name (antonio77r) and found the same name on youtube saying he lives in Italy. And his English is pretty bad. I think I'm gonna forget about it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts