RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

We've wanted an L322 for years and for some reason, about now, we've decided that now would indeed be a good time!

However, the problem is we live in London. We have two cars, a 997 and a Yaris (Vitz in US!)... the Yaris being purchased specifically because it's small. We have need of a second car for dogs / luggage / people / shopping and the Rangie would be to replace this.

But in London the roads are narrow, the parking spaces are tiny and generally everything's too small and I'm wondering how we might live with it on a daily basis. For example we have a width restriction near us that would give just 10cm on each side (compared to the Yaris' 22cm. On the flip side the driving position is excellent and maybe you get used to being able to pinpoint exactly where the sides / front / back are.

I'd be very interested in how others have got on with this..

Many thanks,

Ben

PS. I'm looking for a Petrol, Vogue and research has showed me I should aim for MY06 or later. Budget is 20-25k (GBP) so seems do-able.

·
Registered
144 Posts
10cms each side? You could drive a bus through that guv! :D
Once the mirrors have been folded in, my garage has about 15mm each side to shuffle the RR through. Not scraped 'em yet! /touches wood/

It's more the length of the car that will be your downside when looking for a parking spot in London, although the excellent lock to lock steering range will help along with the beeps from the parking sensors.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I remember test driving my first RR, a P38. It seemed huge and almost put me off. In just a few weeks I found it actually quite easy driving with the good viewing position. Since then I have been in Australia for a couple of years driving a small SUV and now I am back home and again test drove a Range Rover which was an L322. I felt the same again, felt it was too huge but now that I own it and am used to it I find it easy. Most of our roads here are bigger than London residential streets but some are still quite tight and I never find it a problem.
They aren't nearly as daunting as they seem.

Good luck,
Damo.

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts
I find the RR a doddle to thread through London Streets; the PAS is so light when you need to perform accurate manoeuvres. As already mentioned the parking sensors front and rear are a great help and are actually very accurate. The dipping mirror also helps you see where you are going (although the P38 dipped both mirrors the L322 only dips the passenger one) I would say put 18" alloys on it to give you a bit of kerb protection rather than the 20" if you have to do a lot of parallel parking etc.

Also a RR is about the only thing other than white van man that the London cabbies actually get out of the way for, or at least don’t cut you up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts