Range Rovers Forum banner

To the many who have dealt with DSE overheating...

5K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  DarthDude 
#1 ·
There are many threads about the 2.5 Diesel overheating, many of them have all sorts of suggestions to fix the problem, but many don't say if a cure has been found in the end. So to you all that have been dealing with this problem, did you find a solution? Is the overheating problem now " in the past"?

Please post what you did and if it cured the problem

Thank you

#3 ·
The diesel p38 did not overheat when it was new from the factory. There is no inherent design fault with the cooling system. Problems start as things get worn out.

I bought my car from a main dealer when it was less than 2 years old and I have owned the same car now for 12 years. I know the history of it. For the first 7 or 8 years I had no cooling problems at all, even with a lot of towing.

Mine then started overheating due to a sticking thermostat, cheap enough to replace. A year or two later the plastic part of the radiator burst across the top. Apparently common on p38's and Discos. Later problems I had were with the viscous fan, which I replaced. Apart from a recent burst hose, my car does not overheat now even towing 2 tonnes in 35 deg C+ heat up a steep incline. The engine is also chipped and putting out a lot more bhp.

A couple of things I have learnt is to go with OEM parts where possible. Also one of the best mods I did was to fit a BMW E34/M3 expansion tank which has a level sensor. Maybe the one design fault the system has.

#4 ·
Mine too had the heating issue. Found that it was a leaking H/gasket . Did a temporary job with K-seal & it cured.
That was about 3 yrs ago. It's chipped but no pulling caravans.
Recently changed the water pump (KS brand) , belt & tensioner. Nothing to complain on cooling side.

BTW, Dave, how did ypu connect the warning light with the expansion tank's wiring?

regds

#5 ·
Hi Kapila, I took the instrument panel apart and fitted an LED into a redundant warning light space. The one I am using has a gear symbol which I think was used on early models for traction control. I know what the symbol means when it comes on. The level sensor switch works the opposite way that you want. It is off when the level is low, so I reversed the action through a relay.
Dave
:)

#6 ·
Sorry to hijack the thread.
Dave, can I see a picture of the exp/tank,?
How did you connect the out put hose, I heard that it's got a 90 degree bend.

rgds

#7 ·
Hi Kapila,

Not sure whether you are LHD or RHD in Sri Lanka. For LHD cars the mod is a lot easier as the brake booster is on the other side and does not get in the way.

The problem is, if you are RHD like us in the UK, the connection on the BMW E34 tank comes out at 90 deg rather than at a 45 deg angle as on the original tank. The new tank therefore has to be moved to the left about 1" so the outlet pipe clears the booster. To move the tank, the mounting bracket underneath has to be altered. To complicate things, there is a thick wiring harness just inside the inner wing next to the bracket. To stop the relocated bracket chafing the harness, I had to cut a chunk out of it. I then welded a new plate on the bottom and drilled new locating holes. I did not take a picture of that, sorry.

Auto part Engine Vehicle Automotive battery Wire

It needs a relay because the action of the level sensor is closed when high and open contact when low.
I have since moved the relay. I did not like the location in the picture.

Dave

#8 ·
For me it was:-
1) burst thermostat housing
2) faulty fusebox which didn't kick the electric fans to high speed when the a/c compressor cut in
3) viscous clutch

Except for the fusebox, fair wear and tear on a car that's 17 years old, I think.... but overheating is a high stakes failure so I've scabbed in a flashing red LED in place of the bulb behind the temperature gauge in the instrument binnacle. Hopefully that'll get my attention sooner than a politely glowing warning light tucked all the way into the far right corner of the dash.

Might wire in some sort of buzzer too once I find the motivation....... a lazy man's solution to getting alerted when overheating is about to occur, but I think the E34 coolant expansion tank is a cool idea too, but mine's a RHD DSE so I prolly won't be going that route.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.