Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, In need of some quick advice!

In short: Relocating from Wisconsin to California and will be towing a 7/14ft enclosed trailer...

I am shopping for a tow rig, and am looking for RELIABILITY, of course. I understand the bias that you all have, as I do, having owned a 90' Classic RR, and an 05' LR3.

Setting aside as much bias as possible, let's dig in:

The task: 2400 miles, pulling a dual axle V-nose trailer w e-brakes, loaded to around 5000 lbs, Dakota headwinds, and mountain passes...

My options:

2005 RR or LR3

What are your impression on the 05-07 model year from a reliability standpoint. It is my understanding that they we MUCH improved. However, JD Power gives a below average rating, MSN autos gives it GREAT review... AND of course there are all the haters out there that burp ignorance... So.. what's the bottom line??

Second to that, I will be in a small town 5 hours north of San Fran... SO service could bean issue...

How will the RR handle the towing side? Does it have a transmission cooler? Is there a towing package that I need to be looking for?

Any other thoughts would be appreciated!!

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
443 Posts
No help on the towing issues, but avoid any FFRR with a BMW engine. Nothing but headaches.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I can't speak from personal experience on the 2005, but I can tell you that my 2006 tows my boat (which weighs 5500 lbs fully loaded) without issue. I've had really no issues with my 2006, everything I read on here says that the 2006+ is the way to go.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I should also add that I bought my FFRR for the sole purpose of towing and it has been nothing but good to me. Do know that you will most likely have to add an expensive trailer light wiring harness to your RR because they don't come stock with them. That's really not even a big deal but it was frustrating when I bought my RR and was hoping to get out of town the next day with my boat. You have to buy the harness online or have the dealer install it, no other shops will even try.

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
788 Posts
2007 and onward HSEs are propounded as the most reliable of the MKIIIs on this forum. If you can afford one then I'd say that would be the winner.

Personally I'd go with a simpler vehicle if I needed a workhorse, so the LR3 has my vote there. It's too bad that the interior is such a let down on them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.