RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Middle of an engine rebuild and was wondering whether it's best to prime the new lifters with oil when I put it back together? There seems to be conflicting info looking on different sites and manufacturers recommendations. What's peoples thoughts/experience on this?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
Fill time can be painfully noisy. I filled mine manually then soaked them in oil over night jsut to make sure. I have always done so on all rebuilds over the years. Worse case is that you waste some time by doing so.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I was always under the impression you are supposed to prime them. Thats what I did. Primed and soaked overnight like rrtoadhall said.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replys. Is it still recommended to prime the oil pump with vaseline during the rebuild or would coating it in clean oil suffice?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just completed a complete rebuild of an 4.6. Priming the oilpump with vaseline was only necesarry with the older distribitor driven oilpump which had two gears. That was to make sure there was a vacuum so the pump would suck up oil from the sump. With this crankshaft driven oilpump thereis no need to pack it with petroleumjelly.

My question to you is: how long do I need to torture myself with the horrible sound of lifters not fully filled with oil.
I stored them in oil for about a year, covered cam and lifters with camlube but still I can't stand the sound and switched it off after 3 minutes which seemed like half an hour. What is a normal time for them to become silent?

Regards, Olav

·
Registered
170 Posts
Olav said:
I just completed a complete rebuild of an 4.6. Priming the oilpump with vaseline was only necesarry with the older distribitor driven oilpump which had two gears. That was to make sure there was a vacuum so the pump would suck up oil from the sump. With this crankshaft driven oilpump thereis no need to pack it with petroleumjelly.

My question to you is: how long do I need to torture myself with the horrible sound of lifters not fully filled with oil.
I stored them in oil for about a year, covered cam and lifters with camlube but still I can't stand the sound and switched it off after 3 minutes which seemed like half an hour. What is a normal time for them to become silent?

Regards, Olav
For the first few min I started my engine initially after the build, it was making some crazy sounds and blowing out smoke. The smoke was just the assembly lube etc, but the sounds were from the new cam/lifter/rings, it was tight, and just needs to be broken in. I immediatley shut it down, I thought something was wrong, but had my father help me out and he said it was normal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts