RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've read and written lots of posts about painting lowers, and I know it comes down to personal choice, but..............

As I previously posted, my RRS was involved in a chance up-close-and-very-personal meeting with an elk a couple weeks ago. :crybaby2:

While my baby is in the shop, I was thinking of finally having the lowers (sides, front, back) done by the place fixing everything else.

They want a $1K (which I think is reasonable), already have the pieces off, said they'll do the sanding and prep, and will paint with a flexy bonding agent to give the best chance for survival.

All around, the guy's been really nice and reasonable and helpful, but he's really not excited about having me paint my lowers. He said in Arizona, there's more dirt and debris on the road than any place he's lived and thinks it'll tear up the paint noticeably inside two years.

I don't even have 30k miles on my 06, so I plan on keeping her a while. Prior to the new hood ornament ( :cry: ), she was in perfect condition - and I'd hate to see paint all chipped up on that plastic in a year or two.

So, here's the question - of those that have color-matched your early Sports, are you seeing problems? Dings, chips, dents, etc?

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
Huh? What part of AZ is this guy from?? We have the newest, cleanest, and best maintained roadways of any state or country I've ever been to. That said, I'm impressed with your Elk hunting prowess. Very ingenious way of bypassing the lottery system and those pesky tags!
/I don't have any trim painted

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
1,165 Posts
this is just MHO and i admit that i didn't seriously consider painting them, but the thought did cross my mind. i think certain colors get vast improvement when color coding the side skirts and rimini red is one of them. i'm sure you've done your homework and checked out pics. kstatenupe's red RRS has 'em painted. if you're this far along and still thinking about, i'd say go for it. i wouldn't want to be in this position months from now saying shoulda woulda coulda.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've spoken to some body shops and a few have recommended me not to paint the trim/mouldings because they are textured and will not absorb the paint which will cause it to peel off.... I've spoken to others and they said they are capable of this with treating the mouldings with a chemical treatment.... does anyone know exactly what they use or which method to paint these trims? I want to bring it to a body shop with confidence but I am skeptical with all this mixed opinions.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
260 Posts
There are two ways of doing it...

1) The shop will spend hours sanding down the texture of the trim to smooth it out then prime and paint

2) The shop will use a special filler then lightly sand to smooth it out then prime and paint

I've had it done both ways and prefer the filler method I find always looks better. This is probably because regardless the quality of the shop the task to sand the parts is going to be assigned to one guy and after doing so many they may just miss a few spots from getting tired...

·
Registered
46 Posts
TriGem2k said:

1) The shop will spend hours sanding down the texture of the trim to smooth it out then prime and paint

2) The shop will use a special filler then lightly sand to smooth it out then prime and paint

I've had it done both ways and prefer the filler method I find always looks better. This is probably because regardless the quality of the shop the task to sand the parts is going to be assigned to one guy and after doing so many they may just miss a few spots from getting tired...
So this technique using chemical treatment is not true?... what is this type of special filler you are using?

using either of the 2 methods will the paint be durable and not flake or peel off?

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
260 Posts
freshtodeath said:
TriGem2k said:

So this technique using chemical treatment is not true?... what is this type of special filler you are using?

using either of the 2 methods will the paint be durable and not flake or peel off?
I'm not sure what the product is called, you bodyshop should know about it.

I've had mine painted for 6months almost and they look great. My sisters had hers done for over a year and still looks great. Another buddy has had his done for 4 years and looks brand new...

If done properly by a quality shop you should have no problems

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
808 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts