Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I've owned a 2012 RRS (sold after two months of issues--day one leaking sunroof), bought a full sized 2012 sold after finding out about 2013's...so that's my history.

Now question for the 2013-2014 owners--are they any better (mechanically, issues, etc). I know RR was dead last in JD Powers quality again, but they are 'getting' better.

I really want to know from you guys, is the full sized 2013-2014 a shop car (always in the shop) or one you can really drive and not hope every time you get in something will go wrong. They are so darn good looking, but if there are the same issues it's not worth it to me.

Let's hear pro's and con's--even if you just picked up...

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
Well, let's see.
I had a 2007 full size HSE for about a year in 2009/2010 w 17k miles bought, 45k miles sold. Zero issues.
I had a 2011 full size HSE bought in Nov 2010, drove 50k miles. It spent about a week in the shop due to an oil leak @ 4k miles. No other issues.
I bought a 2013 full size S/C, delivered in Jan 2013, drove it about 17k miles, sold it in November. It spent no time in the shop.
I'm now temporarily in a full size 2008 HSE I picked up to take me thru until I get my 2014. This 2008 had 108k miles when I bought it and it now has 114k. No issues. I might end up keeping it actually in addition to the 2014.
So - I must be really lucky or something with these so called reliability issues.

·
Banned
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, let's see.
I had a 2007 full size HSE for about a year in 2009/2010 w 17k miles bought, 45k miles sold. Zero issues.
I had a 2011 full size HSE bought in Nov 2010, drove 50k miles. It spent about a week in the shop due to an oil leak @ 4k miles. No other issues.
I bought a 2013 full size S/C, delivered in Jan 2013, drove it about 17k miles, sold it in November. It spent no time in the shop.
I'm now temporarily in a full size 2008 HSE I picked up to take me thru until I get my 2014. This 2008 had 108k miles when I bought it and it now has 114k. No issues. I might end up keeping it actually in addition to the 2014.
So - I must be really lucky or something with these so called reliability issues.
Good to know--surprised you sold '13--was there something on '14 that you really want??

Anyone else--come on guys...also anyone getting .01 cent off these things yet?

·
Registered
30 Posts
This is my third rover. Previous were '10 sports. One was wrecked and the other drove 3 years with no problems at all.

2013 is a totally different story. I like the truck, the way it rides and how it looks. But it has been a massive headache to own. It's been in the shop at least once a month since I bought it, and not for what I would consider minor problems. Passenger window fell out on the freeway, air conditioning smells horrible, suspension problems, etc etc.

The dealer has been great at getting things fixed and I understand these are not appliance cars like toyota, but I’m just weary of it. I don’t know if I’ll buy another. They cost too **** much and make you feel like a fool spending it with the problems they have.

All that said, there really is nothing like it on the road and you do feel like you are driving something special. Hopefully they’ll work out the kinks in the future, but I think I’m probably going to save the money on my next truck and just get a tahoe or something simpler. At least then I can justify problems by it being “just a chevy.” A lot of the magic has been lost for me.

·
Banned
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I appreciate that honest review. It does make me wonder if they have improved in 2014 or same old story (after all $100K is $100K). I'm sorry (because it's not funny), but your window falling out is about the best one I've ever heard.

I hear you on waiting, but I just love the full sized. My options are to keep 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee (zero--and mean zero issues with it--but dime a dozen here). Wait for 2015 Escalade-the technology they have put into that new model is amazing--and not too blingy anymore (but yes it's a Caddy, not RR).

Hmmm....

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
Good to know--surprised you sold '13--was there something on '14 that you really want??
I made a decent profit selling it. I drive a lot and saving/making $20k depreciation money and hence get a "free" upgrade seemed like a good idea.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
I would wait for the 2015 model...

They seem to be doing "upgrades" every couple of months and I don't think any of them can be retrofitted to an earlier model. Hopefully they can get the problems sorted out by then... My 2013 kind of seemed like an unfinished, not ready for prime time car...

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
But then again, the next 1-2 years will be definitely exciting in our world. Think about it, just what is known right now:
2015/16 - HUD?
2015/16 - complete infotainment system redesign
2015/16 - hybrid?
? - connectivity
incoming engine changes (all the Ford engines are going away)

And a lot more. I think it's worth getting the L405 as is and look back in 3 years. Otherwise, there's always going to be something worth waiting for.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Got my first RR in March 2013, 4.5k miles and still a very happy owner. No visits to the shop. Had a couple on instances where the soft door closures didn't work on rear doors but seemd to have fixed itself so maybe just dirty contacts? The puddle light also seems to have a mind of its own but no big deal for me. I've owned quite a few new models of cars including Porsche , BMW, Maserati and they often have some minor electrical niggle which is exactly what i've experienced with my first RR. Remember the previous generations suffered from differing parents /plants which may have hampered reliability.

·
Registered
258 Posts
After owning one for over a year...

Apart from a misaligned front radar (for cruise control) and a sunroof blind that jammed (both fixed by the dealer), the car is perfect. No other issues to be found; nothing mechanical or anything. I do a lot of preventive maintenance like frequent oil changes, checking wear and tear, etc.

I do get a lot of the JD Power surveys. Looks like JLR does listen since they added some key features to the MY2014 model (sadly I will never see these on mine).

My dealer has always provided good professional service. Way better than the local BMW and Mercedes dealers who always have this condescending attitude.

·
Banned
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After owning one for over a year...

Apart from a misaligned front radar (for cruise control) and a sunroof blind that jammed (both fixed by the dealer), the car is perfect. No other issues to be found; nothing mechanical or anything. I do a lot of preventive maintenance like frequent oil changes, checking wear and tear, etc.

I do get a lot of the JD Power surveys. Looks like JLR does listen since they added some key features to the MY2014 model (sadly I will never see these on mine).

My dealer has always provided good professional service. Way better than the local BMW and Mercedes dealers who always have this condescending attitude.
Good to hear. I hope as the 14.5's and 15's come out things will improve.

The local dealer here is terrible, so hard to get serviced if needed.

·
Banned
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, call me stupid, but I just could not resist.

Ordered (from out of town dealer)a 14.5 Black HSE with 22" (that was a must for me) and other goodies (gave me $1K off which I thought was good enough--probably not best, but better than nothing).

Was able to make change to existing order in System for late March delivery :razz:

Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Well, call me stupid, but I just could not resist.

Ordered (from out of town dealer)a 14.5 Black HSE with 22" (that was a must for me) and other goodies (gave me $1K off which I thought was good enough--probably not best, but better than nothing).

Was able to make change to existing order in System for late March delivery :razz:

Fingers crossed.
Congrats!!!

·
Banned
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Congrats!!!
Thanks.

I figured if it turns out to be a nightmare (which I hope not), I can sell pretty easy in this market, as they are selling fast on secondary (and yes, NOT to an exporter!).

On that note, be advised since I had not done business with this dealer before, they did check my name against a RR list--so that whole "exporter list" black list is true. Kinda bizarre.

·
Registered
22 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts