RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend that recently purchased a used Mercedes SL55. He took his rims off for a good cleaning to find out what he thought were OEM AMG's was actually replicas. To top it all off he found cracks on 3 of the 4 rims! The cracks ranged from 1/4"-1/2" long. I saw the rims in person and it doesn't appear to have been caused by hitting pot holes.....they just failed. It seems like the 22' Stormer replicas are fairly popular within the community and I know a hand full you guys are rolling on them. Anyone ever crawl underneath the car to inspect your replicas to see how they are holding up?

·
Registered
521 Posts
One reason why I bought OEM wheels. Another is that only OEM wheels are covered under my extended warranty.

Caveat Emptor!

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
472 Posts
Goinkin said:
One reason why I bought OEM wheels. Another is that only OEM wheels are covered under my extended warranty.

Caveat Emptor!
"Getting a great deal and being at the right place at the right time" is how you explained to us how you got those tight wheels. If you had to pay MSRP you'd be running stock 19inchers off ebay. :lol:

·
Registered
521 Posts
BWB RRS HSE said:
Goinkin said:

Caveat Emptor!
"Getting a great deal and being at the right place at the right time" is how you explained to us how you got those tight wheels. If you had to pay MSRP you'd be running stock 19inchers off ebay. :lol:
I'd never pay MSRP for anything. I'm sure if you look hard enough, you can find a deal on the OEM wheels.

G

·
0 Posts
i have say this all the time- you get what you pay for with replica garbage.

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
I have not heard of a single person having any issues with RRS stormer replicas. Did your AMG friend bead blast his wheels to make sure these were structural cracks and not cracks in the finish?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Drevs said:
I have not heard of a single person having any issues with RRS stormer replicas. Did your AMG friend bead blast his wheels to make sure these were structural cracks and not cracks in the finish?
He didn't bother doing that.....he just went out and purchased a set of OEM's to replace them. I saw the cracks.....it was the rim and not the finish.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I rarely hear about replica wheel failure.

may be he bought the wrong wheels...

I understand replica being weak and lower quality than OEM, but they don't crack easily w/o reason..

gl with all of us who are running replicas

·
Registered
213 Posts
I would think you are ok considering all wheels have to pass dot/hsmv tests before they can be sold here...

·
Registered
17 Posts
never have owned replica's, however I had numerous high quality wheels prior and they all end up bend or cracked. Low profile tires...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Cost does not always assure you better quality wheels, i also have an SL55 with presidental wheels.
These wheels cost 10 k a set and bend and crack very easliy.
I have had 2 sets of replica wheels and had not problems as yet(fingers crossed)
I think the tires are a big factor and always buy a quality tire that is made for the particular vehicle i put them on
Just my 2 cents worth

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
bc brit said:
Cost does not always assure you better quality wheels, i also have an SL55 with presidental wheels.
These wheels cost 10 k a set and bend and crack very easliy.
I have had 2 sets of replica wheels and had not problems as yet(fingers crossed)
I think the tires are a big factor and always buy a quality tire that is made for the particular vehicle i put them on
Just my 2 cents worth
I totally agree. All rims have the ability to dent and crack. I had a set of 19" AC Schnitzer's a few years back on my BMW 5 series that I had to sell one of my kidneys to help fund the purchase :p. I hit a large pot hole and dented the crap out of the front right rim. I also had a large dent on the inside of one of the rears I was not even aware of. Anyways, the rims held up very well to the abuse. Even with the large dents there were no cracks. Going back to my first post, my buddies rims had apparent cracks without any apparent abuse to the rims. His rims looked brand new still. I believe the material it was constructed out of didn't hold up well to the load stress of the vehicle. I am in the market for some wheels and don't really feel like dropping 7-8k for some new shoes. Unless I can find a set of good replicas it looks like I may have to take the more expensive route. The 22" stormers look promising right now but I really like the Rinspeeds. Iforged is also one of my other options.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
670 Posts
I have OEM AMG on my other car and my wife's and they're bent, not huge but they are. So i'm not so sure about knocking the replicas.
I had a Ford Explorer, hit every curb every pothole and they never bent, I really think it's a design issue, you look at stormers with all those spokes and I can't imagine bending them.

Be nice to see how the RRS Style7s would hold up.

G

·
0 Posts
I would have to disagree with some of you... you DO get what you pay for. When I say that, I don't mean brand name JUNK cast wheels from ac schnitzer, hamann, kahn, etc which are expensive just because of the brand name, not because of the build quality. I am, however, talking about the custom multipiece forged wheels - HRE, Iforged, DPE, etc. There is no question that these wheels are of MUCH higher quality and are SIGNIFICANTLY stronger than cast wheels (which all replica wheels are). The fact is the right pothole will bend/damage ANY wheel, but the forged wheel will without a doubt withstand a much greater impact/beating than a cast wheel.

With that being said, if you are running a thick tire (like the tire on 20" wheels for the rover), I would not worry about cast/replica wheels. There is enough tire there to protect your wheel in most cases.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I totally agree on you get what you paid for.. but

I think the truth is that... you don't get better stuff for cheap AND you don't get better stuff just because it is more expensive.

the product has to be worth what you paid for. is right attitude for buying anything. I have seen many people believing there product is better because it cost more...

I had HRE on my S4 and it is a great wheel and expensive, it was all forged and 3 piece and so on.. but it bent so easily.

I had to replace the outer rims twice.. .. : )

I am just saying.... get the right stuff!!! 8-|=

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
For those of you wishing to explore this further, there is a whole subset of microeconomics associated with this very subject. Marginal utility, the substitution effect, indifference curves, etc....can all explain your descision to buy a particular set of alloy wheels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumer_theory

Hence, I'm rolling on a set of Pimpstar LED rims these days.

Carry on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts