RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in light of my recent tire troubles, I was wondering what everyone here is running and what are the consensus picks for street tires?

I know I'll probably need to replace my tires in the next 10k miles. What I want is a set of good street tires that are reasonable for occasional off road use. Good tread life, low noise and good wet performance are pretty much top priority. Right now I'm running the Michelin Diamaris. While a great tire, minimal road noise and smooth, they seem to wear out pretty quick and are quite expensive.

I'm really not in the mood to shell out 2k for new tires in the next year.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
89 Posts
I'm running a set of Nokiam WR with the normal size for 19", 255/50/19.

My local LR dealer recommended them. They have somewhat of a high performance tread pattern to them, but the actual composition of the tire reminds me of a snow tire. I guess you could say they are an all weather tire. They’re a nice looking set of tires that handle well on the road, and probably wouldn’t do too bad with some light off-roading; one of the reasons why the dealer recommended them.

So far I have put about 2k miles on them. Very, very low road noise. I’m satisfied with the traction in the rain, but to be honest, in an effort to get the best fuel economy, I drive my RRS like a 60 year-old woman. I’m excited for the upcoming Wisconsin winter, I really want to see how these handle in the snow.

Hope this helps !!

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Hey Goinkin, you forgot to include what size rims you are currently running. Usually it's slimmer pickings for 19" wheels (among all-terrain tires in particular..), so specifying your alloys size may get you more useful advice and recommendations. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Sears Guardsman Plus with raised white letters. $49.95/ea plus install. `)

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RRS2006 said:
I'm running a set of Nokiam WR with the normal size for 19", 255/50/19.

My local LR dealer recommended them. They have somewhat of a high performance tread pattern to them, but the actual composition of the tire reminds me of a snow tire. I guess you could say they are an all weather tire. They’re a nice looking set of tires that handle well on the road, and probably wouldn’t do too bad with some light off-roading; one of the reasons why the dealer recommended them.

So far I have put about 2k miles on them. Very, very low road noise. I’m satisfied with the traction in the rain, but to be honest, in an effort to get the best fuel economy, I drive my RRS like a 60 year-old woman. I’m excited for the upcoming Wisconsin winter, I really want to see how these handle in the snow.

Hope this helps !!
Thanks for the info! We don't see much snow here in Houston.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
umbertob said:
Hey Goinkin, you forgot to include what size rims you are currently running. Usually it's slimmer pickings for 19" wheels (among all-terrain tires in particular..), so specifying your alloys size may get you more useful advice and recommendations. :thumb:
Ooops sorry. 275/40-20

·
Registered
213 Posts
I love my Hankook Ventus RH-06. They are M + S rated and have better treadwear and traction ratings than the OEM Conti's. Plus, they are less noisy... They are 106V rather than 106Y but whatever.. 168 MPH rating vs 186... Cause you're really going that fast in your Range Rover right??

Roadway Tire Wholesale in Pompano Beach, FL sells and ships them. They are less than $120 a tire for 275/40ZR20.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MIAMIRRS said:
I love my Hankook Ventus RH-06. They are M + S rated and have better treadwear and traction ratings than the OEM Conti's. Plus, they are less noisy... They are 106V rather than 106Y but whatever.. 168 MPH rating vs 186... Cause you're really going that fast in your Range Rover right??

Roadway Tire Wholesale in Pompano Beach, FL sells and ships them. They are less than $120 a tire for 275/40ZR20.
Holy crap really?!?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I run the Yokohama PARADA specX tires 275/40/20 on my RRSSC and after three tire changes they are my absolute favorite hands down.

Tirerack carries them and some have a $50 off set of four special running right now

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
nvr_home said:
I run the Yokohama PARADA specX tires 275/40/20 on my RRSSC and after three tire changes they are my absolute favorite hands down.

Tirerack carries them and some have a $50 off set of four special running right now
NICE

Good to see that I have some good choices out there.

·
Registered
101 Posts
For those with the Yokohama Parada's in the 20 inch OEM wheels (non Stormers) did you notice that there isn't much wheel protection with these tires?

Is this normal?

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
281 Posts
msh26 said:
For those with the Yokohama Parada's in the 20 inch OEM wheels (non Stormers) did you notice that there isn't much wheel protection with these tires?

Is this normal?

My new 2011 wheel looks uncomfortably exposed like this.

Has anyone tried the 285/40-20 tires available from Nitto or Goodyear? Just under 1/2 inch wider, and just over 3/10's of an inch taller (per tire calculator).

Not sure about the clearance between the tire and upper control arm joint in the front.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,456 Posts
AwfAxis said:
Has anyone tried the 285/40-20 tires available from Nitto or Goodyear? Just under 1/2 inch wider, and just over 3/10's of an inch taller (per tire calculator).

INdeed...that's what I've been running for the last 10k on my street tires, 285/40/20 in the Nitto 420S....great tire, looks more aggressive, nice wide stance and super sticky for fast driving. I keep the tire pressure at 42 to 44 all around to keep the sidewall a bit stiffer too...I have to stay I'm very pleased with the Nitto line up with both the street and offroad tires (Nitto Terra Grapplers).

zero issues on clearance or rubbing on the wider street tire...

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
146 Posts
After much research, I thinking of going with the Michelin Lattitude Tour HP 285/50/r20's. Just looking for a tire wide enough to provide some wheel protection and high enough to prevent bottoming and denting the wheels on even small road hazards. Any one experimented with thois size?? I measured all the wheel wells and seems it will work. 8~

1 - 17 of 17 Posts