RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I added a lift, then added some bigger tires. I'm running an @ 4" lift, and 285/75/16 tires. I can turn full lock to the left, but I can't go as far to the right with out rubbing the trailing arm. Anyone else have/had this problem? If so, how did you fix it...or better yet, how do I fix it. Yes, I can try to adjust the steering, but I want limiting my turn radius to be a last option.

I'm open to suggestions

·
Registered
67 Posts
Possibly some high quality hub-centric spacers? I have never used them on an off road application though. However the high quality billet aluminum ones would seem to be pleanty sturdy for the task. Let me know what you decide and how it works as i plan on doing some custom 2" spacers for my airbags and trying to fit 33s as well at a later date so id be interested to know how this pans out for you.

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
If the tyres are only rubbing turning one way, it can't be that much, so I would opt to adjust the steering stops. It wont make much difference.
Wheel spacers are an option, but do place extra strain on the bearings.

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
If it's anything like a Jeep, you'll need to get a longer track bar...or make a bracket to extend it a bit. When you lift it up, it pulls the front axle to one side, and the only way to fix it is with a longer track bar. I don't think the rear axle has that problem with our suspension set up like the Jeeps do.

So few people have a 4" lift that this is the first time I've seen this being brought up.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay I feel stupid now, but I believe it is because of the track bar or panhard rod,....which ever you want to use. The axle is definitely offset to the left. That's why it only really scrubs in hard right turns. Man I love this forum, because there's such a wealth of knowledge and experience here

·
Legacy Vendor
341 Posts
Yep, look at the diff when it's lifted and it definately pulls to the left side.

My P38a is running 33"s and a 2" lift, and it is quite noticable when at normal or extended EAS heights.

Not sure what the fix is yet... longer/lower radius arms or just a double cardon shaft... maybe. I'm still playing with it.

Cheers, Paul.

·
Registered
276 Posts
The offset to the left/right (one side when lifted, the other when in EAS low-rider mode) is caused by the fixed length panhard rod controlling lateral movement of the axle.

If the vehicle is permanently lifted, a longer panhard rod might be an option, don't know if an aftermarket, longer rod is available.

Sigi

·
Registered
966 Posts
munichp38a said:
The offset to the left/right (one side when lifted, the other when in EAS low-rider mode) is caused by the fixed length panhard rod controlling lateral movement of the axle.

If the vehicle is permanently lifted, a longer panhard rod might be an option, don't know if an aftermarket, longer rod is available.

Sigi
It exists.
http://www.lucky8llc.com/Products.asp?ProductID=2288

·
Registered
276 Posts
Thanks for the info, although I think it will help others more than me, a slight recalibration of the EAS high mode is enough for me :thumb: .

Sigi

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
73 Posts
Anyone know if that adjustable panhard rod works for the P38 or if its more for the RRC/Disco 1? I ask because I find that usually the cool stuff like that is for them instead of the P38.

·
Registered
966 Posts
they've got it in the P38 section of the website. its just two hoops with a bushing inside (on each end), so as long as the bushing width is the same and its adjustable, then it should work.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've got a buddy of mine about to fab me up an adjustable one. He has a machine shop and all the know how to do it. I'll keep you posted on how it works out. Might even persuade him to make 2 or 3 extra if anyone else is interested.

He has a couple of toys, to include a H1. We've agreed to take them out and play one of these days.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
73 Posts
hell i'm so stoked about the lucky 8 one that if he can beat their price i'd be all over it instead in a heartbeat. :dance:
i'm sure that lots of folks on this board would jump at the chance as well.

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
kmagnuss said:
If it's anything like a Jeep, you'll need to get a longer track bar...or make a bracket to extend it a bit. When you lift it up, it pulls the front axle to one side, and the only way to fix it is with a longer track bar. I don't think the rear axle has that problem with our suspension set up like the Jeeps do.

So few people have a 4" lift that this is the first time I've seen this being brought up.
If the tyre is rubbing the radius arm, the effect of the panhard rod being to short because of the lift shouldn't be to much, as the panhard pulls the entire axle to the left and the radius arms are connected to the axle, so also move to the left. Off course, the chassis end remains fixed, so there would be a small difference.

As for the rear axle, the P38a is one of the few cars that uses a panhard on the rear axles as well, instead of an A-frame like the Classic or watts-linkage like the DII. So you'll have a similar problem with the axle no longer being centered when lifting 4".

Greetz,

Filip

1 - 15 of 15 Posts