RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K. Let's talk tires, the SuperCharged comes with 275/40R20 Continental 4x4 SportContact 106Y tires. They are $269 a piece at tirerack.com.

As you know, they are summer tires, so any of you living north of say, North Carolina, will need to switch tires when Winter rolls around if you plan on driving in the snow. The Continentals get decent reviews. The people that complain talk about road noise and tread life. Some complain about snow traction (they say non-existent), but I think they can't read because the tires are clearly labeled 'summer' tires, so what do they expect.

Here is what I am thinking. Keep the Continentals as my summer tires (most of the year in VA) probably March through November. I will need them to get me to ~15-20K miles in 18 months for that to work. Maybe, maybe not we will see. When they wear out I will be switching to arguably the ultimate SUV High Performance tire on the market (according to expert and consumer reviews), Michelin 4X4 Diamaris 275/40WR20 ($298/each). Great blend of performance and treadlife. They come standard on the BMW 4.8is and the owners rave about them.

For the winter though, what to do.

For Winter tires I will change over to Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow 275/40VR20 ($234/each). They get awesome reviews for winter traction and they are the same size as the summer tires so the appearance of the vehicle does not have to suffer. I only need 4 months of winter driving so those should last me for at least 5 years of winter driving.

Yes, it is a pain to switch tires every twice a year, but the alternative is to go to All Season tires where there is significant trade off in terms of performance (e.g. o.k. on in summer and o.k. in winter, vs. excellent in summer and excellent in winter).

Anyone else have tires to recommend?

I would love to switch to 22" wheels, but can't justify that expense. Plus the tires get even more expensive the bigger you go and I think the RRSC with 20" wheels is just right. Don't want to look like a gangster. :D

Although I wonder what 'Tony Montanna' aka Al Pacino in Scarface would do! lol :lol:

·
Registered
15 Posts
The michelin diamaris was my tire of choice for all my SUV's ( I had them on my previous RR which originally came with Dunlops), and this is the first time I will be using the Continental 4x4's. In terms of ride, it really doesn't make a big difference due to the air suspension on the car, but I am satisfied with them so far. I know I have only been driving a few hundred miles but they feel a bit softer then the michelins, presumably they will wear out quicker. as I live in tropical climate I wouldn't have your problem swapping tires when its winter time.

·
Registered
2013 Range Rover Sport
56 Posts
Currently running the Michelin Sport Pilot AS 3plus. I only have around 2500 miles on them, but really like the tire. Was running Continental which flat spotted over night and developed loud road noise at 1/2 tread life. Also found turn in to be much better on the Michelin.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Any recomondations for an All Season tire?
Got Scorpion Zero All Season Plus 275/40/R20 recently for $203 a piece.
Good tires, not worse and maybe even better than Michelen that they used to put on OEM.
Already did 3000 miles on them, no problems.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Has anyone successfully squeezed 295’s or greater on these rims?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
469 Posts
Currently running the Michelin Sport Pilot AS 3plus. I only have around 2500 miles on them, but really like the tire. Was running Continental which flat spotted over night and developed loud road noise at 1/2 tread life. Also found turn in to be much better on the Michelin.
Hi, can you please elaborate on " flat potted"? what was the effect, symptoms of that?
Thanks.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Description says "sedan and coupe", while it is the same round tire but it may be constructed differently from SUV/Light Truck designated tires, like may have thinner sidewalls or be 3 ply VS 4 ply for SUV. Generally I may not worry all that much about these details but the fact that it is 2.7ton SUV and side wall height is only 40mm a little bit bothersome what you put all that tougether.
I am just saying...

·
Registered
2013 Range Rover Sport
56 Posts
Hi, can you please elaborate on " flat potted"? what was the effect, symptoms of that?
Thanks.
Sure.... when sitting over night the tire would develop flat spots due to the softer sidewall on the Continential tire. Symptom is light wheel shimmy / vibration the first 4 to 5 miles driven. This goes away after the tires come up to temp. Doesn't damage the tire, just annoying.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I have that symptom. I guess I need to call Continental and try to return them. That shimmy goes a lot longer then 5 minutes, more like 15-20.

·
Registered
76 Posts
When my car was brand new they had Continental of it and right off the dealers lot I had shimmy over 55. Dealer took long time and could not get rid of it. Took awhile, but they replaced with Michelene, said Continental had flat spots and couldnt be balanced out that was obvious to me, but it took like 5 trips to dealer back then..down to regional manager...

·
Registered
MY06 to MY09 to MY13 Range Rover Sport SC's ALL
64 Posts
Description says "sedan and coupe", while it is the same round tire but it may be constructed differently from SUV/Light Truck designated tires, like may have thinner sidewalls or be 3 ply VS 4 ply for SUV. Generally I may not worry all that much about these details but the fact that it is 2.7ton SUV and side wall height is only 40mm a little bit bothersome what you put all that tougether.
I am just saying...
Ahhh well "Description says "sedan and coupe"" is not a criteria for selecting proper tires for a vehicle -
Maybe better to look at Load Range and Speed Rating These = 106Y
Ad says R but ZR is what arrived
Search any number of tire dealers By Vehicle not just tire size. These will come up as an under $200. choice.
(They also have a UTQG: @560AA ) 60,000 mile tread wear rating.
But suit yourself

1 - 13 of 13 Posts