RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2010 SC used about 4 years ago and I still have the same aftermarket Falken ZIEX S/TZ05 265/50R20 tires on them that the previous owner put on. The rear tires are in great shape, but both front tires are now badly worn on the outside (i.e., too much positive camber or toe in?). Several shops/mechanics recently have suggested I replace them and have an alignment done. These tires are slightly wider (10 mm) and taller (10 mm) than the OEM tires (Michelin Latitude Diamaris 255/50R20). Does this accelerate the wear? I am asking because I am wondering if I should simply replace the fronts with used, same make and model, similar tread life (8/32") tires or replace all four with OEM tires to avoid accelerated wear...?

·
Registered
413 Posts
the premiers looked less rugged and i thought it wld be a smoother ride. they permiers are very soft and ware quickly. i hear the defenders last longer and better in the snow so given how comfortable the RR is i dont think the premiers will be materially different wrt comfort

·
Registered
96 Posts
We have the Michelin Defender LTX 255/55R20 on our RR Supercharged. I have no complaints, but they only have about 10k miles on them so I cannot make a comment regarding longevity.

·
Registered
413 Posts
We have the Michelin Defender LTX 255/55R20 on our RR Supercharged. I have no complaints, but they only have about 10k miles on them so I cannot make a comment regarding longevity.
How have they been in the snow? Premiers have been great and i hear defenders are better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have only had one winter on these tires so I can’t offer a lot of insight. This was also my first winter with the Range Rover. That said, I never had traction or performance issues with them, so no complaints.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How is the wear so far on these models for y'all? How's the acceleration off the line and when passing or merging? How's the handling (and acceleration) when turning a city corner or bend/winding road?

·
Registered
586 Posts
How is the wear so far on these models for y'all? How's the acceleration off the line and when passing or merging? How's the handling (and acceleration) when turning a city corner or bend/winding road?
It’s not my 17 Jaguar XF, which was totaled by some guy doing over 100mph hitting me in the back, but I find that it is very much better than my 02 RR 4.6.
No plans on replacing the Jag even though I loved it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It’s not my 17 Jaguar XF, which was totaled by some guy doing over 100mph hitting me in the back, but I find that it is very much better than my 02 RR 4.6.
No plans on replacing the Jag even though I loved it.

??? I was referring to the Premiers and Defenders tires

·
Registered
586 Posts
I was kind of wondering what you were referring to ? The tires or the handling of the vehicle.
No worries. I misread into it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ok, I have a 2010 SPORT Supercharged, but this is what I am running (Since April 2018 )
Hankook VENTUS ST RH06 - SIZE: 275/40R20. I replaced a set of Conti Extreme Contact Sports and I am very pleased. These Hankook tires handle just as good as the Continentals did up to 100+ MPH, have a more aggressive tread - I do take the Sport off road - beach sand mostly and they work a lot better than the street only Contis did. The ride seems more refined as well.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Me too - people complain that there are no AT options for the 19" but there are about 6 - I only need one.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I have the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus in 265/50R20 (the 111V, not the 107) and I like them.

They've been good tires, quiet, good 3-season traction, and pretty good tread life. Snow/ice traction is not too great (I have winter tires on 19" wheels).

I've had to purchase a couple of replacement Pirellis over the years, both new and used, due to tire a couple of punctures and excess wear due to being out of alignment. I found BestUsedTires.com to be a good source for finding tires with matching tread wear.

Prior to the Pirellis I had the Hankook RH06. Those we very good tires and if they still made them in 265/50R20 I'd probably still be using them. I had them siped and the winter traction really wasn't too bad. Siping made a noticeable difference on ice.

Prior to the Hankooks I had the original Continental CrossContacts that were just fine. However, if I were looking for new tires, Continental Tires would definitely be on my list.

Having said all that, if you like the Falkens, I'd replace the front pair with two to match the rears, then make sure your alignment is good.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts