RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had a truly miserable experience with the set of Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 (275/45R20) that came on my truck when I bought it. They were fine on highway, quite good actually. But one of the first times I took them off pavement, I experienced a blowout on the front right. As I went to change it, I heard the hissing from the back right - a cut sidewall. Several miles up a trail and without phone coverage is not the place you want a double tire failure.

Needless to say, I didn't want to go back to the ExtremeContacts. Instead, I went with the Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S that recently came out in a 265/50R20. I am quite pleased so far. For a slightly noticeable gain in highway noise and a very slight decrease in width (10.6 section, 8.78 tread, measured on an 8.5 rim), I gained nearly 300 lbs. of load capacity per tire (2403), 1 3/4 inches in diameter (30.51), the Three-Peak Mountain Snowflake symbol, a more aggressive look, and - most importantly - the confidence that I can go and do where and what this truck was designed for.

I think this may prove to be a tire that's perfectly suited for this vehicle. I'll try to get some pictures this evening to post. I recommend it to anyone who wants a comfortable but capable tire.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIII / L322
189 Posts
I have the Coopers on my '12 and they are great.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As installed. I'm not sure the photos do justice to how much better these look than the highway Contis that always looked like they didn't quite fill the wheel well.

IMG_2002

IMG_2004

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
327 Posts
These vehicles always look good with A/T tires.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just out of curiosity, will you be changing your tires for snow as they are considered "off road" tires, not strictly speaking snow tires? (there may not be snow where you live).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just out of curiosity, will you be changing your tires for snow as they are considered "off road" tires, not strictly speaking snow tires? (there may not be snow where you live).
We only get about a foot of snow each winter, and it's not unheard of to get some 60-degree days sprinkled in the middle of winter, so winter tires aren't a thing here. The 3PMSF rating should be more than adequate for my needs.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I change mine. These are rated for snow, but when you get into a lot of ice it really needs a dedicated snow tire. Mine are actually studded snow tires.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts