RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
A few weeks back I went to the tire shop near my house to put my summer wheels on my car. Two of the tires were at 7/32 and the other two at 6/32. The tire shop guy said he will put the 7/32 at the back because the tires wear out faster on the rear. Before the treads of my tires get two mismatched I want to be sure he is correct.

Does a sport supercharged wear the front or rear tires faster?

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
100 Posts
My unrotated tires on my 13 supercharged were 6/32 up front and 8/32 in the rear.

Normally the car is driving with mostly front wheel drive, plus you turning wearing the front out faster.

Only reason is if you are in the mode that puts more power to the rear than the front and doing this constantly that the rear should wear faster. I forget what it's called, dynamic I think.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
159 Posts
Hello,
A few weeks back I went to the tire shop near my house to put my summer wheels on my car. Two of the tires were at 7/32 and the other two at 6/32. The tire shop guy said he will put the 7/32 at the back because the tires wear out faster on the rear. Before the treads of my tires get two mismatched I want to be sure he is correct.

Does a sport supercharged wear the front or rear tires faster?

Tire stores always want to place the better tires on the rear. The rear tires last longer than the front. Thus the tire store will get you back in for a new set of front tires quicker. There is a lot of misleading information that has led to this habit and the most common statement is that it is safer to have the better tires on the rear. This is false unless you are driving a pre 4 wheel abs car. Pre 4 wheel abs, if the rear tires lock up or blow out there is the possibility of the rear of the car skidding around the front, with the introduction of 4 wheel abs and traction control this is not an issue. Also one of the main reasons the rear does minimal braking force compared to the front on most cars. Todays technology some manufacturers have caught up and increased rear wheel braking forces. The front will always be the stronger braking because when braking the load is on the front wheels and the rear is unloaded.

So with that I always put the better tires on the front.
I managed tire stores for many years.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts