Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all
New to the RRC world but have owned disco and Defenders.
I have 94all original RRC LWB with 215/75 R16 ties on air suspension. Looking to put tires with a bit more tread yet hard to find in these measurements. Open any and all options.
Thank you
P

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
226 Posts
For your reference, the original size the RRC was delivered with was actually 205/80-16 which equates to about 28.9" tall, however there are very few tires offered in this size.
your current 215/75 would be 28.7" so slightly shorter.
I don't think you will find consensus on what the best size is. You'll have to make that decision for your self, but it is typical see widths from 205 to 245.
For reference I am currently running 235/85-16 which gives me a diameter around 31.7". I do get a little rubbing on the radius arm at full lock, but no interference with the body.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I have 225/75R16 on my EAS LWB. These are Cooper AT3's, and they are quite large for a 225/75. I can just squeeze the spare into the stock location. Very happy with them.

·
Registered
1991 2 door, 3.9l 5 speed, Aspen Silver
34 Posts
I posted a similar question a while back, in addition to the 225/75 mentioned above, 235/70 and 245/75 were also popular sizes. Michelin Defenders were also a recommendation.

·
Registered
1992 Classic Vogue SE
27 Posts
I have Pirelli Scorpio ATR 205/80/R16 and Michelin Latitude Tour HP 235/70/R16 on my 93 with air suspension. The ride on the Michelin is so much better and more stable

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm running 215/85 R16s, a taller profile than yours and available in LT if you plan on any rocky off-roading. I like the taller profile while maintaining a narrower tire. I personally don't like anything more than a 235 width unless you have a BIG lift, just looks all wrong and you WILL have additional stresses on the axles with wider tires.

I also used to run 235/85R16s and will probably again, but they make an underpowered rig even slower, and tax your braking a bit more.

I am astounded that the Brits would spec such a wimpy, tiny tire as a 205/80R16 on a vehicle that is otherwise superior to any other of it's size off-road, but they did, and they no doubt sized the brakes and axle loading to that size tire.

Every 4x4 of that era deals with the same issues of small OEM tire size, and EVERYONE puts bigger tires on, but those little 205's are laughable (counting the seconds until someone responds with documented performance of those little tires).

·
Registered
1989 Range Rover Classic
598 Posts
I'm running 215/85 R16s, a taller profile than yours and available in LT if you plan on any rocky off-roading. I like the taller profile while maintaining a narrower tire. I personally don't like anything more than a 235 width unless you have a BIG lift, just looks all wrong and you WILL have additional stresses on the axles with wider tires.

I also used to run 235/85R16s and will probably again, but they make an underpowered rig even slower, and tax your braking a bit more.

I am astounded that the Brits would spec such a wimpy, tiny tire as a 205/80R16 on a vehicle that is otherwise superior to any other of it's size off-road, but they did, and they no doubt sized the brakes and axle loading to that size tire.

Every 4x4 of that era deals with the same issues of small OEM tire size, and EVERYONE puts bigger tires on, but those little 205's are laughable (counting the seconds until someone responds with documented performance of those little tires).
Don't think I'd consider 2" a BIG lift, but personally I don't think the 245/75's look "all wrong". They fit the wheel wells quite nicely. Yes they rub a tiny bit at full lock, but adjusting the steering stops fixes that.

These are the 245/75 highway all-seasons that were on it when I bought it (no lift)

and 245/75 A/T's with a 2" lift.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts