RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Relatively new here, as I purchased a 95 RRC SWB, but I'm not new to Rovers having owned a 94 D90 NAS for years.
I've searched the forum and thoroughly analyzed the RRC Tire Choices page (which is quite helpful) and could still use some help. I have an OME medium duty suspension and currently have my stock wheels wrapped with 255/65/16s. I want to add lift with the tires, and was about to pull the trigger with 215/85/16s, but was scared off by the portion of the tire choices page that referred to the possibility of serious slop and oversteer issues.

I don't necessarily need a tire brand/model recommendation (although wouldn't mind any), but would appreciate hearing what is a good size to gain height without sacrificing steering (this is my daily driver so mostly street driving, but I'd like a more aggressive looking tire/sidewall). 205s don't really seem to be available stateside.

·
Registered
178 Posts
This is one of the most controversial topics on any automotive forum. : ) However, I will be the first to jump in….

Currently running these tires on my 95' LWB for over a year and love them in all conditions.

I run them year-round and they hold up well to the Georgia heat.

Front PSI: 28
Rear PSI: 34

Cooper Discoverer M+S
LT225 /75 R16 115Q E1 BSW

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/cooper-discoverer-m+s/p/27409

I think I paid $110 per tire installed?

I considered the 215/85/16’s, but felt they were too tall relative to their contact patch for highway use.

Hope this helps!

Chris

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate you wading in; I hear you and that's why I tried to make I clear I wasn't posing the what's the best tire question. I'm also tinkering with the notion of adding a 1 or 2" spacer (someone suggested 1" would be wiser) to the suspension.

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
My 95 RRC SWB has 245 /75 R16 Cooper Discoverer ST/Maxx, very happy with them, but they are much heavier. I know you’re not looking for a brand rec, but the ST/Maxx have been great in snow, dirt, mud, and pavement. They are super quiet on pavement. I may try the STT Pro next, as they have an even more aggressive tread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My 95 RRC SWB has 245 /75 R16 Cooper Discoverer ST/Maxx, very happy with them, but they are much heavier. I know you’re not looking for a brand rec, but the ST/Maxx have been great in snow, dirt, mud, and pavement. They are super quiet on pavement. I may try the STT Pro next, as they have an even more aggressive tread.
I like that tread on the pro -- wish I could see how that looks on a RRC, as I could see myself heading in that direction.

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
STT Pros look similar to Maxx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
OME heavy, but I’m going to go back to EAS eventually.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I too have similar size as PL does, same brand but more highway thread (the discoverer model) yes very quiet and road stable on a 95 lwb with EAS.
I use a mac pc thus is nearly impossible to load pics on to forum. a far as turning radius, the size did not change it at all and on the plus side the speedometer is right on when compared with 3 different gps models, all the way up to 95mph.

I have fully articulated the suspension and the tires tuck nicely in their wheel well with out concern, I can deflate the eas and ride with out interference.
in the past I did use 2 inch spacers (could not locate 1 inch) and then my tires did rub on the fender and front spoiler rim when articulating, turning hard and as well as when the eas was deflated. I removed the spacers.

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
...in the past I did use 2 inch spacers (could not locate 1 inch) and then my tires did rub on the fender and front spoiler rim when articulating, turning hard and as well as when the eas was deflated. I removed the spacers.
When did you do that? So, if I’m hearing correctly, the stock EAS can be used for 245s without reprogramming and lifts?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
in the past I did use 2 inch spacers (could not locate 1 inch) and then my tires did rub on the fender and front spoiler rim when articulating, turning hard and as well as when the eas was deflated. I removed the spacers.
I'm on the hunt for another RRC (the one I'm looking for would be LWB, low miles, stock, no deferred maintenance -- yes, I'm sure I'll pay dearly), and was thinking that one will be EAS or I"ll convert it back. I'd wondered whether you can do spacers on an EAS and it sounds like the answer is yes you can? Did you have the sense that you could have used a 1" spacer with the 245s without issue -- and any reasons you would caution against using a spacer to get a bit more lift on an EAS RRC?

Pl626: I've got the OME medium, which I understand amounts to a 1" lift, while the HD you have amounts to a 2" lift. To get the same profile you have I was consider adding a 1" spacer, but read on the forum's suspension page that With the 2 inch lift, it is advisable to install the OME front radius arm bushes at the same time -- these have offset centers designed to correct the castor angle.
http://www.rangerovers.net/rrsuspension.html#lifts

Did you find you needed to do anything along those lines -- I'm wondering if I can safely get away with simply adding a 1" spacer and calling it a day -- and then perhaps putting some new 245/75s underneath.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I was confused when you mentioned spacers, I did both wheel and height spacers, the wheel spacers made the wheels rub and the
suspension spacers were not welcome by the system. I still have 2 sets of 1 inch suspension spacers 8 inches total,
to use them on air bags i removed the stock locating pins, rethreaded the holes and used heli coil inserts, then used bolts to secure the bottom of the bag to the axle while sandwich-ing the spacer. instant lift. it is the height sensors which did not like the lift, so back to factory height.
on a curious note the rear bellows out of a p38 are taller than those of a classic, so I'm using rear p38 factory bellows all around on a classic.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
When did you do that? So, if I’m hearing correctly, the stock EAS can be used for 245s without reprogramming and lifts?

yah mom, we discussed my tire blow out when I moved from the shop in bethesda, it is then I installed the bigger tires. when I wrecked laz, it was sporting a set of 245 wranglers so I went back to them as soon as possible and the blow out was the perfect reason and excuse.

"Peter my friend"........lol.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks all -- yes the comparison calculator is very helpful.

Based on the help above, I ended up ordering the st maxx in 245/75/16 and will get installed next week. I'll figure out the spacer issue once I hear back from pl626.

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
... the HD you have amounts to a 2" lift. To get the same profile you have I was consider adding a 1" spacer, but read on the forum's suspension page that With the 2 inch lift, it is advisable to install the OME front radius arm bushes at the same time -- these have offset centers designed to correct the castor angle.
http://www.rangerovers.net/rrsuspension.html#lifts

Did you find you needed to do anything along those lines -- I'm wondering if I can safely get away with simply adding a 1" spacer and calling it a day -- and then perhaps putting some new 245/75s underneath.
..no spacers. As I understand it, I’m at the same height as the high EAS position. Definitely feel it in cornering, one of many reasons why I’m going back to EAS. On the RRC, 2” lift is max lift before you need to worry about radius arms and double carden shafts.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
..no spacers. As I understand it, I’m at the same height as the high EAS position. Definitely feel it in cornering, one of many reasons why I’m going back to EAS. On the RRC, 2” lift is max lift before you need to worry about radius arms and double carden shafts.

I can vouch on his suspension set up as I was the installer, yes all OME no spacers, same length brake hoses etc, all stock except the springs, shocks and tires.

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
I can vouch on his suspension set up as I was the installer, yes all OME no spacers, same length brake hoses etc, all stock except the springs, shocks and tires.
you should have tried harder to get me NOT to do it...I so miss the self leveling EAS...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts