RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often are you guys getting this done? I know on my truck I had before my RRS I was doing it every 8000 miles as directed by....well actually I can't remember who told me I should be doing that now. Was wondering if your all just going by what the dealership has told you or if you've found that doing it earlier than recommended has helped with wear.
 

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
Joined
·
670 Posts
when rotating tires in the RRS is it only front to back or can you also go diagonal.
Meaning, rear-right to front-left, I know MB recommends against that on the ML
 

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
Joined
·
4,456 Posts
Entirely depends on your tire...

Typically front to back and v.v. is what I've done.

I'm getting about 45K per set on the 18 inch Nitto Terra Grapplers, only got about 20K on the original Continentals, but they were crap anyway.

On the 20 inch Nitto NT420S - just front to back...
 

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
Joined
·
5,175 Posts
I'm not convinced (and its based on my personal experience only) that tire rotation is worth the hassle. The exception may be w cars with more negative camber out back. The X5 I used to have would wear the inside of the rear tire more than the front.

On the RRS, with all parameters in spec, the double wishbone doesn't seem to show those same tendencies. I'm on my second set of "all season snowtires." The first set wore out very evenly front to back as well.
 

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
Joined
·
5,175 Posts
CB08 said:
Yeah, all I've ever done is front to back and v.v. as well.
Stupid question from the back of the room...what is v.v.?
 

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
Joined
·
670 Posts
gooseyloosey said:
CB08 said:
Yeah, all I've ever done is front to back and v.v. as well.
Stupid question from the back of the room...what is v.v.?
Yeah!, thanks goose. CB08 quit showing off bro!
 

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
Joined
·
670 Posts
Oh Oh, did I just get punked? There's not such thing as v.v.
 

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
Joined
·
670 Posts
umbertob said:
Vulvo vaginitis. :thumb:
Vulvo Vaginatis Caliente, but in acronyms the Caliente is silent, unless it's plural
 

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
Joined
·
4,456 Posts
CB08 said:
Hahaha well initially I meant vice versa but I think I like vulvo vaginitis better
What can we say CB08...these younger guys are just not up on the latest abbreviations.

:)
 

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
Joined
·
4,456 Posts
gooseyloosey said:
I'm not convinced (and its based on my personal experience only) that tire rotation is worth the hassle. The exception may be w cars with more negative camber out back. The X5 I used to have would wear the inside of the rear tire more than the front.

On the RRS, with all parameters in spec, the double wishbone doesn't seem to show those same tendencies. I'm on my second set of "all season snowtires." The first set wore out very evenly front to back as well.

That's only because you're averaging the same number of right hand and left hand turns, otherwise you would see a noticeable tread wear pattern particularly coming out of Hoboken with all of those 1 way streets.

But seriously...if you do more offroading, then I find that the front tires wear a bit faster than the rears.

:D :D
 

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
Joined
·
5,175 Posts
PJPR01 said:
gooseyloosey said:
I'm not convinced (and its based on my personal experience only) that tire rotation is worth the hassle. The exception may be w cars with more negative camber out back. The X5 I used to have would wear the inside of the rear tire more than the front.

On the RRS, with all parameters in spec, the double wishbone doesn't seem to show those same tendencies. I'm on my second set of "all season snowtires." The first set wore out very evenly front to back as well.

That's only because you're averaging the same number of right hand and left hand turns, otherwise you would see a noticeable tread wear pattern particularly coming out of Hoboken with all of those 1 way streets.

But seriously...if you do more offroading, then I find that the front tires wear a bit faster than the rears.

:D :D
Yes, I do less offroading, so good point

Holy cow...I just got back to this thread...what happened?? I blame it on Umberto :D :D

This video basically details the trajectory of this thread, the tip stall at the top by Umberto, the nice recovery at the bottom by Paul. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52bDpVlQ09o&feature=PlayList&p=5AD659F2EAF7F971&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=63
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,247 Posts
From Tirerack - the front to rear is more for directional tires.

They provide 2 options, 3 if you want to use a spare.

1. Bring the rears to the front, cross them while putting in the rear (sounds kinky)
2. Cross them Front Right to Rear Left and v.v.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/ ... ?techid=43
 

Attachments

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
Joined
·
670 Posts
Frisco_TX_RRS said:
From Tirerack - the front to rear is more for directional tires.

They provide 2 options, 3 if you want to use a spare.

1. Bring the rears to the front, cross them while putting in the rear (sounds kinky)
2. Cross them Front Right to Rear Left and v.v.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/ ... ?techid=43

Cool, thanks Frisco
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
PJPR01 said:
CB08 said:
Hahaha well initially I meant vice versa but I think I like vulvo vaginitis better
What can we say CB08...these younger guys are just not up on the latest abbreviations.

:)
Haha yeah come on guys, try to keep up. That's good to know you can rotate end to end as well as front to back, thanks Frisco.
 

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
Joined
·
472 Posts
I think tire rotation is a good idea - take your summer tires off and rotate on the dedicated snows each Fall; do the opposite in Spring. Mark the tires location on the car by wipping a mark like DF; DR; PF; PR in the wheels brake dust collection and then reverse position when they seasonal set goes back on.

No need to expand on what DF; DR; PF; PR means.....
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top