RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently had my tires rotated and now I'm getting the Tire Pressure Monitoring Sytem Fault. Does the system have to be reset after a tire rotation? The tire shop said that they checked the tire pressure and all the sensors seem to be working properly. However, they are not familiar with how to reset the system in a Range Rover. I'm hoping that I don't have to visit the dealer for this.

·
Registered
166 Posts
No, chances are just a bad battery that was in a sensor (wheel) that was previously close enough is now not within range.

What I’m saying is, if you were to put the tires back to where they were, you’d probably see the fault clear. TPMS batteries are probably low.

Good part: they didn’t actually mess anything up

Bad part: unless the tire shop also does TPMS, you will end up paying the dealer the same as a set of new tires to change out the sensors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
I switched to a different style of 22s and had the same fault. The shop and dealer has confirmed the sensors work but the system shows a fault. I have been living with the error but just realized it hinders the temperature and some other features too.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I contacted the service manager at my local LR dealer and he said...

"The TPMS system fault usually indicates the batteries in the tire sensors have died, the life span is usually between 6 to 10 years. It is our pleasure to pull the codes and verify if it is the sensors or the monitoring system.
I verified the sensors can be replaced individually ,but our recommendation is to replace as A set due to age and the failure of the balance of the sensors are imminent. The sensors are $248.63 each if the fault is verified as such. The initial diagnosis will be $190.00 and the labor to replace each sensor will be $40.00 with an additional $190.00 to program after one or all 4 have been replaced. We have these sensors in our parts department and we can proceed with a service appointment upon your request."

That's a total of $1,534.52 so I definitely hope that it doesn't come down to that. Anyway, I went by my local Discount/America's Tire and had them replace the 4 sensors for a total of $277.05...that includes a 6 year/72k miles warranty. However, the TPMS fault is still there. They told me that the vehicle will need to be driven about 30-40 miles for the TPMS fault to go away. I haven't driven that far as of yet since they installed the new sensors so I'm not sure if that worked. I'm now starting to wonder if this could be a problem with the monitoring system itself.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Let us now how the aftermarket sensors work.

Yeah dealers probably sell low volumes of TPMS sensors compared to Discount Tire. You can bet money they’re installing ones with batteries about to expire and cause you the same headache next year.

What year vehicle is this? Do you know whether they were 315 MHz or 433 MHz?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What year vehicle is this? Do you know whether they were 315 MHz or 433 MHz?
2013 L405...I don't know if the sensors were 315MHZ or 433 MHZ but I wlll ask Discount Tire today.

·
Registered
43 Posts
No, chances are just a bad battery that was in a sensor (wheel) that was previously close enough is now not within range.

What I’m saying is, if you were to put the tires back to where they were, you’d probably see the fault clear. TPMS batteries are probably low.

Good part: they didn’t actually mess anything up

Bad part: unless the tire shop also does TPMS, you will end up paying the dealer the same as a set of new tires to change out the sensors.

i use discount tires/ Americastires for all my vehicles
i like their service and they'll make it right if there's a problem i their first install

·
Registered
422 Posts
Ray, my IIDControl gap diagnostic tool can turn them off in the car configuration files ccf. The dealer can turn them back on when you're ready to use them again...
IMG_3429.PNG

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I went back to America's Tire this morning and they ordered new sensors that are specific to JLR vehicles. They cost a bit more than the sensors that they install but the guy said they would match the price that I've already paid them just for my inconvenience. The sensors should arrive around Wednesday or Thursday. I will update you guys when they install them.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I went back to America's Tire this morning and they ordered new sensors that are specific to JLR vehicles. They cost a bit more than the sensors that they install but the guy said they would match the price that I've already paid them just for my inconvenience. The sensors should arrive around Wednesday or Thursday. I will update you guys when they install them.
So if I go there and decide to get TPMS done, how much would it cost for just the sensors?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So if I go there and decide to get TPMS done, how much would it cost for just the sensors?

I paid a total of $277.05 for 4 sensors...installation included

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update:

I just left America's Tire...after getting the new sensors installed and driving the car for about 10 miles the TPMS light went out on the dash so I guess the new JLR specific sensors are the way to go if you need to replace yours.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Update:

I just left America's Tire...after getting the new sensors installed and driving the car for about 10 miles the TPMS light went out on the dash so I guess the new JLR specific sensors are the way to go if you need to replace yours.
Thank you for the price, and thank you for the follow up. I frequent Discount Tire (same difference, I’m on the east coast). When I get my next set, I’ll have them do sensors, too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts