RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, its that time unfortunately. From the outside of the front tires, they look fine but due to poor alignment from the previous owner, the inside of the front tires are extremely worn (down to the thread in the tire :shock: ). I've considered just replacing the front 2, but that would cause imbalance issues and I would be better off buying a set of 4 anyways. Especially since those tires have been on the rover since 2001. I've looked around and found a few different tires that I like ranging within 50 dollars (per tire) of each other. What I want to know is, what tire do you all recommend, and what kind of tire load index should I be looking for. There is this particular tire that is impressing me for the price, especially considering it has a 600A/A rating. Which means it should last a very long time and has excellent traction in both slick and everyday conditions. The load index on it 109 though. I think that for such a heavy vehicle the rover might need something a bit higher than that, I don't know for sure though. The tire size that is currently on the rover is for the 16inch rims with the official size of the tire being 255/65/R16. Let me know what you all think. :D

·
Registered
978 Posts
I have tires w/ 109 rating, but haven't had any problem. I've also had an alignment problem w/ my car, so just a month or two ago replaced the front 2 tires (The original rears were brought forward, though). Anyhow, just last week, I've had a flat, so in the end, ended up replacing all 4 tires.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TheoR said:
I have tires w/ 109 rating, but haven't had any problem. I've also had an alignment problem w/ my car, so just a month or two ago replaced the front 2 tires (The original rears were brought forward, though). Anyhow, just last week, I've had a flat, so in the end, ended up replacing all 4 tires.
I actually did some more research. apparently a tire with a load index of 109 can support about 2200LBS per tire. And I know the rover isn't 8,000lbs, so they should work fine. I'll most likely order them up.

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
Check out the "official tire/tyre thread" via search for options and opinions. I know I love my Nitto Grapplers and will be ordering another set next year.

·
Registered
60 Posts
TheoR said:
I just did this today, but I'm hearing all kinds of horror stories on the inter-web about blown center diffs and transfer cases.
Apparently, there you can replace tires on some AWD system, but not on others.

Anyone know if this is OK on the P38?

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
jpmarotta said:
I just did this today, but I'm hearing all kinds of horror stories on the inter-web about blown center diffs and transfer cases.

HUH? :think: I am pretty sure you can replace tyres on all cars, AWD or not. I know I replaced the tyres on My P38 and it is still OK. :?

·
Registered
60 Posts
rrtoadhall said:
jpmarotta said:

HUH? :think: I am pretty sure you can replace tyres on all cars, AWD or not. I know I replaced the tyres on My P38 and it is still OK. :?
OK wise guy, I meant installing 2 new tires on an axle (in my case, the rear) instead of buying 4 new. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts