RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I've got a rather tempestuous question. I've got three tires on my rover that are 205/80r/16 Michelin synchrones. The other is a 205/16 xms 244 Michelin.....My 4th synchrone is dryrotted and losing air, so i had to put on the 244. My question, will driving around with 3 tires and 1 different screw up the truck? I've asked so many people. Most say no. A couple say yes. Please enlighten me!

Alas, I would just buy a whole new set, but i am young and broke.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
382 Posts
I don't know that anyone on this forum will really be qualified to give you a definitive answer. Each tire has its own handling characteristics so of course this is not the best arrangement. I do hope that the odd one is on the rear as that's surely going to have the least effect. All that aside, here's a concern I'd have if that were my vehicle so equipped. The Michelin XM+S244 has been out of production for perhaps 15 years and that is therefore a very old tire. Regardless of how fresh it looks, tire and vehicle manufacturers seem to uniformly recommend against using a tire that old. In the manual of my just-acquired 2006 LR3, Land Rover recommends that you not use a tire more than 6 years old. Of course, it's all up to you what choices you make with your own safety.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I´m not sure about the diameter difference of your tires but this will make your prop shafts to turn in sighlty different speeds.

1) If your rangie has the LT230 transfer case, the center differential will cope with this speed difference

2) If your rangie has the Borg Warner transfer case, I belive the viscous coupling will be constantly working i.e. will be subjected to a constant speed difference which may shorten it´s service life.

In both cases your transfer case would be constantly used under a condition similar to a slippery off-road condition.

I hope this helps but if I were you, I´d try to find a tire with the same diameter as the other three you have. In the long run, say you drive a year with your truck like that, you might end up having to replace a viscous coupling sooner then you expected.

I´d be happy to read other opinions about this matter!

cheers,

·
Registered
345 Posts
I heard any tire older than 3 years old is dangerous, and ignored it by using original 244 tires. They eventually failed after only 3000 mi ( these were all never used spare tires ) not only did they wear quickly but they felt out of balance at first, which I learned was from bubbles on tread from failed rubber. Afterwards I realized how dangerous this was, and that I could have had a failure at high speed. The idea of having different size tires is no good for entire drive train as one wheel spins more or less than the others, and stresses cv joints, differentials, transfer box, and trans, and as has been mentioned it may not cause failure, but will shorten life of components. You need to measure outside diameter of tires to at least make sure their all the same.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Dan, the other posters have already highlighted some of the main hazards associated with running unmatched and old tires on your truck, so while I won't repeat them I will agree with those posts. I appreciate your position of being young and on a tight budget. If you haven't already discovered, Rover ownership is synonymous with ongoing repairs/upgrades, and while this has the potential to be expensive you can often find cost effective ways to solving your problems.

Rovers being Rovers, they are very stubborn and can often soldier on despite various degrees of owner neglect. Tires are one part, however, that are an exception to this generalization. Tires are a very important component as they are the interface between your Rover and the road- they affect handling, braking, and failure of a tire at speed can have disastrous consequences.

I encourage you to find a way to replace your aging tires. Be creative, you don't have to spend $200/wheel on the latest fancy high performance option. Some tires can be purchased new at reasonable prices (the General Grabber 225/75/16 is one of many possibilities), maybe you can find a set of lightly used tires locally where the owner is looking to upgrade to bigger treads. It may seem like a big expense but consider the alternative of wrecking your drivetrain or a blowout at freeway speeds. Good luck!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I second Tugela's view, not long after I brought my truck in 2000, I also purchased a set of old SATs on series rims to use as a off road set. As I was driving to a off road trip and wobbling all over the road at only 80kms/h I thought what the %^&&* am I doing risking my new (to me) truck for the sake of saving a couple of hundred dollars. I got rid of the tires and brought a new set of mud tires the next day, cheaper in the long run.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
59 Posts
There are some used dealer take off resellers around the net. Google found a set of 4 Wrangler 215/75/16s for under $200 shipped.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Here's a p38 (similar 4wd system) that lost it on a minor kink on an almost straight road.

Note the worn tyres on the rear and decent tyres on the front...

I also experienced some iffy handling as my p38 was purchased with odd tyres.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts