RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I'm new to the FFRR and I'm in a long wheel base so I have the 21 inch tires. I have seen several tire threads about the howling noise especially with 22 inch rims but the 21's have some noise as well. It gets very noticable around 65 mph and less so on both sides of that speed but still there. Different road types do affect the loudness of the howling but it seems to always be present at some level. Added to that when I hit seems in the road I get this ping ping ping noise like a basketball that is over inflated and you thumped it.

I see the sticky above that talks about tires that you can swap for but has anyone swapped to tires that have eliminated this problem? I would definitely say my Escalade at this point was much quieter even on 22's. Any RECENT feedback out there? TIA!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have the stock Continental CrossContact LX on my 2014 ATB's 22 inch style 7 wheels. Absolutely no howling sounds at highway (or other) speeds.

One thing I do is inflate the tires to the "comfort" levels, at somewhat lower PSIs than standard. I set the TPMS accordingly too. The ride is sublime at cruising speeds and pretty much the same during hard acceleration and cornering.

What a sweet car!

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
201 Posts
I have the stock Continental CrossContact LX on my 2014 ATB's 22 inch style 7 wheels. Absolutely no howling sounds at highway (or other) speeds.

One thing I do is inflate the tires to the "comfort" levels, at somewhat lower PSIs than standard. I set the TPMS accordingly too. The ride is sublime at cruising speeds and pretty much the same during hard acceleration and cornering.What a sweet car!
I have the same spec wheels/tires and I find the ride somewhat "brittle"
Can you advise what pressures you adjusted to and how you set the TPMS?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UPDATE: I read on this forum somewhere to reduce the tire pressure to 36 lbs in front and 40 lbs in back tires. This has helped tremendously! When I checked them last night I think all four were like 45 lbs! Btw, I have Pirelli Scorpions.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have the 21" Good Year F1 SUV and they are pretty quiet. I think it depends on the tire brand. I noticed on my older full size with 22s, the Continential tire was very noisy and had a pronounced howling noise.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Do you not read the screen on the TPMS, it shows you the recommended tyre pressures and their actual reading . If you follow these recommendations for light load or heavy load settings that should stop you guessing what pressures to put in your tyres. this is for Crafty4rover. As for the noise it depends on the road surface you are travelling on concrete or ash-felt and your tyres the conti tyres just make the noise on concrete road surfaces. The tyre pressures do however lower the noise if following recommended pressures.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have the same spec wheels/tires and I find the ride somewhat "brittle"
Can you advise what pressures you adjusted to and how you set the TPMS?
You set TPMS to light/comfort load in the service menu in the dash menu. The service menu is only accessible with power on but ignition off. The appropriate setting (light or heavy load) also shows the recommended tire pressures. More details in the owners manual.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
201 Posts
You set TPMS to light/comfort load in the service menu in the dash menu. The service menu is only accessible with power on but ignition off. The appropriate setting (light or heavy load) also shows the recommended tire pressures. More details in the owners manual.
Thanks. I found the light setting. My only concern is that with the very low aspect on the 22" wheels, does lowering the pressure also decrease the sidewall aspect, making the already vulnerable rims more so?
What is your experience?
I would also say my ride improved considerably after the active roll bar was replaced, but it still feels brittle.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Thanks. I found the light setting. My only concern is that with the very low aspect on the 22" wheels, does lowering the pressure also decrease the sidewall aspect, making the already vulnerable rims more so?
What is your experience?
I would also say my ride improved considerably after the active roll bar was replaced, but it still feels brittle.
Sidewall decrease is very minor when going to the comfort setting. Handing is fine too. Frankly, the "normal" setting results in way overinflated tires, causing an unnecessarily harsh ride. If you read the fine print, the "normal" setting is for when you're operating the vehicle at or close to its maximum rated weight (carrying four adults, full trunk, and give or take an anvil). That should have been labeled "fully loaded" or something like that vs "normal".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts