RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did it the way Landrover says, and I am still feeling that the gauge is too high.. it reads over half way.
Anyone found a better way?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi i usually top any car i,m doing back up to the cold level on expansion bottle then high idle for about ten minutes with expansion bottle cap off on full heat and full blower should be blowing warm air by then then let it cool and top up bottle back to cold level never had any probs yet did my dse a month back that way and it was fine . rgds neil

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
search on how to burp the system. If you don't do it, there's a high probability that your temp gauge will spike out of nowhere do to an airlock.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Heater core is bypassed due to an O ring leak...
I did search, and found a couple of references to a better way to do it... but failed to actually find a how to!

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
5,424 Posts
NELLY said:
Hi i usually top any car i,m doing back up to the cold level on expansion bottle then high idle for about ten minutes with expansion bottle cap off on full heat and full blower should be blowing warm air by then then let it cool and top up bottle back to cold level never had any probs yet did my dse a month back that way and it was fine . rgds neil
Having it onfull heat won't make any difference as there is no tap in the heater line.

Carefully remove the overflow pipe between the radiator and the reservoir. I do it at the radiator end but this can be frought with difficulty if you snap off the spigot from the radiator top tank - as many seem to do. Try removing it at the reservoir.

Blow through the overflow pipe to clear it of any coolant.

Fill system until coolant starts to flow from the overflow spigot (or pipe if disconnected at the reservoir). Refit reservoir cap.
Reconnect the overflow pipe.

Top up coolant and run engine. After switch off and cool down, top up tank once more.

Some people like to have the nose of the car up higher than the rear but I've never found the need.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I've had some luck by raising the front end on both the 38a and the disco. Maybe the bosch engines trap more air as a result of the upper hose going over the alternator. The disco has a bleed port on the upper hose and that makes a difference as well.

On a similar note, I've noticed that I get drunk faster if I leave my hat off. I'm putting head gaskets on the disco, and it takes at least a 12 pack. It should therefore go much faster if I leave my hat off, no? Does that make sense?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
5,424 Posts
rtonder said:
I've had some luck by raising the front end on both the 38a and the disco. Maybe the bosch engines trap more air as a result of the upper hose going over the alternator.
Good point. Mine's a GEMS engine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts