RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Owner of 2 RRC & 1 D1. Timing was jumping so installed new chain and sprocket gears. Improved but still jumps about 1/2 inch when timing lit. No codes. Idles 5 minutes and then a knocking appears and knocking volume increases. Vacuum test returns a steady 8 value. Driving round the block surges, stumbles, & shakes. Compression test returned all but 1 cylinder as strong so fitted new rings to complete bank. Pulled Dizzy and inspected - Spring loaded good and gear teeth good. Anyone been here before?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Try timing it by sound and feel
Maybe your off a tooth

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
distributor counter weights and springs may be sticking. another option is "triggerwheels.com" distributor less system, gets rid of your distributor in lieu of coils. never deal with dizzy related issues again.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
distributor counter weights and springs may be sticking. another option is "triggerwheels.com" distributor less system, gets rid of your distributor in lieu of coils. never deal with dizzy related issues again.
Interesting.... Tried triggerwheels.com but no such address was available. Please advise. Furthermore Dizzy gap, magnets, weights and spring are all intact - So the Dizzy isn't the issue. I should have also mentioned that all lifters looked good. The fact that the knocking shows up after she warms tells me that somehow the expansion of the pistons is enabling the noise. Starting to suspect the cam but she looked good to my eye. Not much left.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have installed new drive gear and new dizzy however timing continues to "jump" around about 1/2" when lit. Reviewing, new timing chain and gears, new drive gear and dizzy, lifters all look good, no wear, cam looked good. Rover stumbles and shakes driving around the block. Idea anyone?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
Does it idle rough?, if so you need to find idle issue before setting timing otherwise it will never read correct.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Idles fine. Thinking I may have a rod bearing problem. 1 of em could be spinning.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts