RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am in the process of rebuilding a 5.0 NA engine that 2 bad rod bearings - (brought it that way)

Did much research on parts sources as I needed new crank and all internals including timing chains etc and found these guys who are based in Bahrain. They are half the price of US based suppliers. For other parts that they don't carry I have been using LRDirect. Even though they are both overseas suppliers parts usually arrive 2-3 days after ordering which is a lot faster than US suppliers

http://alfarismotors.com/

·
Registered
107 Posts
I did a complete timing chain/guide/most everything overhaul a couple years ago, and just recently I got a REALLY ugly noise which grew worse and worse, like a bad power steering pump. Turned out to be one of the cam phasers. Had to pay to pull apart again, replaced all 4, noise gone. Highly recommend anyone do them in conjunction with timing chain if you plan on keeping the rig. Not much more labor at all if done at same time.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
They have been ordered too. While I'm in there, doing it all.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
A conundrum.....
The engine will not fully turn over with the crank bolt or starter.
Kinda difficult to time it when it wont turn over.
Can turn it @210 degrees with the crank bolt, then it stops solid.
All timing left in place
Fuel injector holes plugged
Spark plugs were in.
Ideas?? Or is the SOB coming out?

Martin

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Anybody know who sells internals for the 5.0?
Pistons, rings, rod/main bearings, etc

·
Registered
224 Posts
The 5.0 is an interference type motor and so it's possible one or more of the cams is out of time.

When you say you tried the starter did you try and crank it or are you referring to trying to turn the motor using a lever on the ring gear (preferred method)?

The motor should always be turned clockwise when facing the front of the motor, looking towards the car, to check the timing marks still line up after two rotations.

If you removed the cams are you certain you haven't swapped them from one bank to the other (very easy to do)?

Rob

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The owner pushed the ignition button Instead of just turning on ignition, it spun the engine. Should not make a difference, as all timing stuff was still untouched.
I'll post pictures of the results........ Need 2 pistons, and a head.
Only thing that makes any sense is that the engine happened to let go at that time. the "New" timing parts were not the updated parts.....IF they were done at all. At 211k miles, it was on very borrowed time if not. Yes there were noises up front when I bought it. Which was why a very good condition '10 LR4 was $4500:thumb:

Martin

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
head.jpg
head2.jpg
pistons.jpg
pistons2.jpg

Needless to say the one head is off. Other coming off as we speak.
Engine out this weekend

·
Registered
224 Posts
Ouch - you may as well consider that motor as scrap.

If you take a look on eBay you can find a used 5.0 NA motor from a MY2010-2013 Jag for around $5K, with reasonable miles.

"Pure" used LR-sourced motors are typically closer to $9K for essentially the same engine.

It's pretty easy to "convert" the Jag-sourced-motor over to one suitable for an LR4.

Rob

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Believe it or not....The cylinders got away with it.
Pulling the engine tomorrow to check the rods etc.
I'm thinking just what you see though so far.

Martin

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Regardless of what LR say, the engine can and did come out fine with the body on!
Make the timing easier to do on the stand I guess...After I see what got destroyed

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Stripped the engine and dropped the block off at the machine shop after me measuring most of it.
I'm hitting a brick wall as to the specs though.
Zero information about the crank end float, journal diameter, crank specs, and so on. Basically everything that is normally listed in Alldata for any other motor!
Does anyone have the full specs for the bottom end???

Thanks!

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I had to leave out, pesky work...
The owner is finding very low mileage Jag aj133's for a few grand less than either a rebuild, or a LR variant.
So it looks like that is the route I'll be taking with this. I already ordered all the timing components including the new phasers, but he wants to leave it as is financially. I can buy the stuff from him, for the wife's '11 SC so he'll be saving some coin. However I try to convince him otherwise, he's after leaving it alone for now. Seems a LOT easier to do on the engine stand, but money is money.
Seeing as I have only been into one the one time during strip down, can someone remind me if the fuel pump camshaft is disturbed when removing the oil pan? I'll need to swap oil pans and pickup tubes out.
If not, then it seems a very easy swap, seeing as I have all the LR stuff laid out already.

Cheers
Martin

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
They make it cost prohibitive to be honest....

Martin

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
About this Discussion
34 Replies
9 Participants
leftlanetruckin
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing