RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hmmm I thought the metal guides they updated prevented this issue and was a issue on the older models ?? This is the first case we are hearing about it on the l405 on the forum at least. Most l405 owners are not on forums i imagine.

Thats too bad. What was the total cost ?

On the bright side now with good oil intervals you should be good to at least 200k. How has everything else held up

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a noise coming from the engine. Didn't know what it was specifically but it was noticeable. I was doing an oil change at an independent and the guy mentioned it and said it was going to be expensive.

A few weeks later, I was doing some maintenance items (spark plugs, brakes, etc) at a different place and it registered a timing fault code.

I'm the second owner, previous oil changes were documented on time.

Apparently the chain was very loose and I have some related issues. $7K later, back on the road.

·
Registered
60 Posts
What would you say the noise sounded like ? and the related issues just so we know what to look out for. thanks for the help

Sorry to hear but at least u are back on the road

·
Registered
7 Posts
"On time" oil changes are part of the issue. Land Rover has an insane recommendation of 15 or 16k between oil changes, which is not good for the timing chain guides.

The timing chain guides were replaced with a new part in very late 2012 models. Starting in 2013, all 5.0 engines (and the SCV6, which is essentially a 5.0 with the back cylinders rendered inoperable) should have the new guides, which have a metal "button" placed where the timing chain tensioners would wear a hole into the older design.

That said, some people still have problems, even with the new design. The common denominator seems to be oil change intervals. Look at the service history of any off-lease Land Rover, and you'll see the already-crazy 15k mile interval was pushed out to 17k or more before the owner brought it in.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I suggest doing an oil change every 5000 miles just for peace of mind. An oil change is cheap. I have been using Liqu Moly since I started using it on my M5 and noticed less oil consumption and less engine chatter.

Many people say oil is oil but I really think Liqu Moly is a good oil and brand in general. I use it on my Audi and my G63 and my last oil change on my L405 was with their JLR formulated oil.

Here is a link for you guys to check out https://www.liqui-moly.com/en/press/press-releases/detail/news/new-oil-for-jaguar-and-land-rover-2649.html

·
Premium Member
1,717 Posts
I agree with the at least 7-8k miles notion. But what a conundrum for SAs. If they want to be helpful, they will recommend the 7-8k miles oil change to those who have no idea. That customer looks at the Land Rover recommendation and thinks "typical stealer talk, I know better" -> goes cheap.
Boom, the lightning strikes at 75k miles...

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
Yeah. 100k miles with my 2017 V6 and no timing sound with 5,000 mile Pennzoil Platinum Plus oil changes, I noticed less variator noise with my 2014 V8 after 2-3 oil changes with 5,000 mile intervals.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts