RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

We've purchased our Range Rover Sport new just over five years ago and it's been running like a champ with just under 100,000 miles. A couple of weeks ago, I left the house to run a couple of errands and immediately noticed a change in acceleration. The car drove alright but definitely lacked it's normal "ooomph". After making my first stop, I got back in the car, turned it on and a "restricted performance" warning came on, along with the little orange engine warning light. Not good.

I returned home and called our local dealer who wasn't able to get me in for a service appointment until yesterday. The car wasn't driven in the meantime, but I took it to the dealer less than 5 miles from here and left the car. Today he called and said that after all other attempts to diagnose/repair the problem, the only solution was to repair/replace the timing change to the tune of $8500. Yikes.

I know nothing about cars but having a repair of this magnitude after just 5 years isn't good. So I've got a couple of questions I'm hoping you all can help with:

1. Is this typical for a 2013 model with under 100,000 miles?
  2. Is the $8500 repair estimate reasonable for such a repair?
  3. There's a highly recommended foreign car repair shop that can fix Range Rovers nearby; should I have any hesitation about having them look at the car and provide a second opinion?
  4. It's an 11 mile drive from the Range Rover dealer (where the car is now) to the foreign repair shop; as long as I stay off the highway at low speed, do I risk any further damage to the car/engine?
  5. I haven't yet called the Land Rover Service shop to tell them I'm getting a second opinion (should I decide to pursue that route); is it kosher to do that? Any advise as to what I should tell my service tech rep without sounding like a jerk?
Thanks for any and all advise!

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
516 Posts
I know the LR4 and FFRR of that vintage have the timing chain guide issue as well as the water pump issue. I would call the indy shop to see if they woild tackle this job. I do know it is a complicated procedure that rips deep into the front of the engine that takes time. I also thought i heard someone say they paid around $4k or less (google it). You should be OK to drive the vehicle to the indy shop being tender on the throttle. But make sure they will do the work and how much before you cancel with the stealership. I'm sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
159 Posts
Get a quote from an independent and ask the dealer to price match. If they want the job they will and if not take it out of there to your indy guys. No hard feelings at that point if they are the ones turning away the job and the money. (A lot of dealers will price match, they dont want to loose the job and or the customer)

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
101 Posts
Sorry about your repair. Definitely get a quote from the indy shop. My transmission went out on my 2004 RR hse, 150k miles, and the dealer told me my car was totaled, 12,5k for the new transmission + labor. I love my car, had her since new and as a last ditch contacted highly recommended indy and was quoted 5.5k for a refurbished transmission installed, same warranty as a new transmission ( 1 year ), this was 2 years ago and the truck drives great. My error was following the recommended lifetime transmission fluid guidance of the owners manual. I suggest people change their transmission fluid every 60k-75k miles.

Good luck!

·
Registered
90 Posts
The issue is common my dealer charged me 6,500 thats because they changed all the injectors and a whole bunch of other stuff while in there however the 4k job does the same thing but only changes the key components. I would choose the dealer as mine has a 1 year unlimited mile warranty on there work. Whats weird is technically 2013 cars shouldn't have the timing chain issue it wasn't on the original tsb but i have heard a couple of 2013 owners having to get it fixed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advise everyone.

The car is at the indy mechanic as we speak having it's fuel pumps replaced (no mention of timing chains), so we'll see what happens. Provided that's the fix, it'll be just over half what the Land Rover Dealer here in Minneapolis was quoting, so keep your fingers crossed.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Taking my 2013 in tomorrow for an o/c to the local indy and waiting to see if what I hear is the timing chain or not. Engine is new to me so I don't really know if I'm hearing stuff ticking or just normal noise. I heard they didn't fix this issue for the 13 model which is pretty atrocious given when they knew it was an issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts