RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 Bosch HSE with 162K. Can you get enough slack in the timing chain to cause it to rattle? I can rev my engine and hold steady at 2,000 RPM's and it sounds like metal rattling. If I just do a quick rev and let off the gas, I have no noise. Any thoughts?

·
Administrator
27,820 Posts
Personally I would doubt it. If you had enough wear for chain slap you would most likely be skipping teeth and the rest of your engine would be shot. I would vote for an idler bearing or similar. Are you able to pin down a closer location? Having a buddy hold the idle steady would allow you a better search under the hood.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I completed this project this year to fix a rattle but I still have the rattle. The old chain and gear look cool though hanging on my garage wall.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I had the dreaded death rattle / knock ... It was the humble idler tensioner pulley... mine was the "poly-whatever" light weight composite...the bearing housing had come adrift. I replaced it with an aftermarket all-metal version which was considerably heavier...BUT... the sealed bearing can be pressed out and replaced if necessary... no more death rattle... there is a tech service bulletin on this... it's a "known" issue = LR have had lotza cases and have had to do something about it... like replace it...

·
Registered
275 Posts
I bought my MY 2000 4.6 HSe with 51.000 km on the Odometer.... when the car is at idle there this ding ding ding noise - now the car is at 157.00 km - at the noise is still there - at no diffferent level or change in time etc. The belt tensioner was changed somewhat 10.00 km's ago...

The chain has'nt been changed - nor the water pump - thing to do in time...

Ferdinand

1 - 5 of 5 Posts