RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 2008 RR HSE with 110K miles on it. I've been lucky, and have had very few issues over the years. For example, I've had almost no repairs until 100K when my radiator went out. Then, just recently, I had to replace both front struts, which cost me around $3,000 at a shop (not the dealer).

I'm wondering how much longer I should keep the truck. My main question is, what is the deal with the timing belt or chain? It's a chain on the 2008 RR HSE, right? How long do they usually last? I think the dealer told me in the past that it should last the life of the engine. I'm reading on the forum that it can cost some $7,000 to replace it. And if it goes out on me, then I'm looking at a whole new engine?

You guys are veterans, so let me know what you think. I could sell the truck for probably 8-10K still (it is in near mint condition). I hate to do that, but since repairs are so expensive (I don't do them myself), I'm wondering how much longer I should keep it around before I am inviting more trouble.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
101 Posts
Hi E-Range Rover,

Regarding your front struts, do you mean the air struts? You can get refurbished struts, which have the same warranty as new struts for around $300 / each. Installed around $500-$600 / each. Did you have brand new struts installed? If your rear struts need replacing I highly recommend the refurbished ones; I have replaced three air struts on my 2004 L322 HSE with 155k miles and only one of the refurbished struts had an issue; it leaked air the second day I had the truck back and it was replaced under the 1 year parts and labor warranty of the refurbished struts. I also just had my starter replaced at an independent shop; they quoted $700 for a new starter ( part only ), but recommended I have a refurbished starter installed for $573; it has a two year parts + labor warranty.

I have had my truck since she was new and do regular oil + filter changes every 5k-7.5k miles. I asked about my timing belt when my starter was replaced and my independent shop told me mine is a chain and that I should not worry since I have done regular oil services. Last year I had to replace all of my ignition coils because they were slowly failing which caused the "service engine" light to come on and a rough idle. I have also had to replace 3 of 4 wheel hub bearings last year; the wheels were making a wob, wob, sound as the bearings were worn.

I highly recommend you have your transmission fluid changed. I believe the L405 recommends transmission fluid change every 60k or 80k. On my model year RR says "lifetime" transmission fluid, which is ridiculous. I had to replace my transmission two years ago around 145k miels, but with a refurbished unit for $5.5k installed; no issues since.

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
"Refurbished" struts are no longer available from Arnott. He/they only sell new units now and they are right up in price range with dealers.

EDIT: BTW your 2008 is not part of the few years that had the timing chain guide/tensioner issue. So there is no "deal" with your timing chain. It is pretty bullet proof with regular maintenance and service. It takes a lot of neglect and abuse to wear out timing components on the older jag engines.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks RRToadHall. Good to know regarding the timing chain. Right, I remember dealers telling me in the past that it should last the life of the vehicle. But I was reading a few threads on the forum about people with issues, and that's why I wanted to ask. The only service I haven't done on it yet is to replace the transmission fluid, but I don't think I do that till around 150K. I also haven't changed the coolant, but I once had a coolant leak so about a 1/4 of it was replaced (the stuff that leaked).

I might hold it then another two years and perhaps sell it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts