RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been fighting with power, or lack there of, for weeks now. I finally broke down and brought it in.

They called me today and said that the timing was off 40 degrees. The car started and idled ok, but when I accelerated, it would really bog out. I changed the following:

fuel pump, fuel filter, plugs, cap, rotor, wires, ignition coil, coolant temp sensor, and stepper motor.

They gave me a quote of 700ish for a newly installed timing chain. Is this a task that an average mechanic can do? Does the 40 degree timing difference cause the symptoms as mentioned? Would it even run if that off?

Any help would be great...as I am always a little leery of mechanic shops.

Thanks,
Jason

·
Administrator
27,819 Posts
:shock: 40 off?! I would be surprised if it ran at all.

Timing chain and gears are simple and could easily be done over a weekend with lots of time for cleaning.

How many miles does your rig have and what year and engine?

·
Administrator
27,819 Posts
Unless it's had the tar beat out of it I would really be surprised at a timing chain failure at only 100K. None the less you should be able to to timing chain, gears, front seal and gaskets for under $125. Still I can not imagine a chain slipping several teeth at only 100K. That is alot of stretch and teeth to slip past to get to 40 degrees. :think:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts