RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I hope you are well.

18.03.20 I delivered my 5.0 SC to a main dealer for diagnostic, this was advised as timing chain noise, I instantly gave the OK for them to undertake the work and it was started.

23.03.20 car not complete and I was advised they were locking down.

20.05.20 got a call to advise they were re-opening and that I would get a call on 23.05.20 to let me know what was happening with my car, no call came and I chased them on 27.05.20. Was told it would be ready mid the following week. Next week came and no call, I phoned on the Thursday to be told they’d had to order an injector removal tool as they didn’t have one (main dealer) and it was due in the next day so my car would be ready mid the following week. The next week came and went with various excuses and here I am now with the following;

I spoke with the manager and asked what the problem was on Thursday, he gave me a run down of problems they’d had but said it would ‘all being well’ be ready Friday. He called mid-day Friday and said all was good and the fitter was getting rid of air locks and it would be ready for collection later. 5pm and a lady calls to tell me the timing light had come on again (first I’d heard of it) and they had checked the sensor and as it was new was fine and working, they confirmed the wiring was ok and the master technician said the only other thing could be the new chain was not fitted correctly so now needs stripping again to check..

In total it’s been 3 months, but taking lockdown out it’s now nearly 5 weeks for a timing chain.

I have no loan car from them, no offer, I’ve spent a fortune on temporary car insurance and now faced with the timing chain being fitted wrong.

Can anyone offer any advice, would the incorrect fitment of the chain cause engine damage?

I have no idea where to go from here, I’m gutted.

Thanks All
Lee

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
139 Posts
It’s hard to say there are so many scenarios to keep in mind could be a simple fix or they have to redo it from the start, it’s not the easiest job. I’ve had bad experiences with Land Rover dealerships in which the shop foreman telling me he never had heard of timing jumping and bending the valves on these cars, there is a guy on YouTube that buys cars on Copart and recently he purchased a regular Range Rover that came with the engine disassembled which turned out to be the tech at the dealership was working on the timing, and at the end he forgot to pull the pin out of the tensioner and after assembling everything the timing jumped and messed up the valves so they totaled the car. If I were you I would make sure you have good warranty on the parts and labor from them. It’s funny that they are saying they didnt have a injector puller, I think it’s pathetic on their part. It’s the same tool even for all the new cars since those engines are exact same what they put in 2020.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I am 100% certain, there is no need to pull injectors, hence use the injector puller to do a timing job. Make sure they had replced all silicone seals on injectors if they touched them. They must

·
Registered
139 Posts
Sure you don’t need to pull the injectors off you’re doing a zip tie job, but if they are doing a little more other then chains and tensioners the valve covers have to come off and that includes the injectors. I’m guessing they would want to replace the vvt’s ass well even to ram up the bill.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Yeah but such a lengthly service and no loaner? I had engine replaced in 2018 and transmission in 2019 and was given a loaner, at both times it was several weeks for approval by LR and actual job and obviously dealer had provided a loaner, more then that, allowed me to pick which one I want from their loaner vehicles fleet.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I agree with you, loaner should be offered no matter what’s the issue with the car, when I first bought mine they gave me a loaner for 3 days to replace a single air strut. But that’s right after they took my money for the car so obviously first impression. A lot of times when they don’t have loaners they should rent a car from enterprise for example. But ether way stealerships do what they do... it is kind of nice to learn a thing or two about these cars and call them out on b/s which happens almost every time. Anyways... make sure they give you back the car in a better condition than when you took it to them and don’t be afraid to ask questions as to what was replaced, and you can always speak to the actual tech that did the job, he can always tell you a bit more.

·
Registered
417 Posts
My experience with loaners was excellent. I bought my RRS used with CPO and always was given a loaner to the last visit to the dealer in the last month of the warranty. Their attitude and how I was met and treated did not change a bit trough the years. I had some issues with quality of repairs / quality control that I discovered half a year later, I had contacted them about it, they replied on Sunday, called Monday 8 am that my loaner is waiting for me, immediatelly put my car on the lift, invited me to the shop and allowed me to show shop manager what issues did I discover. Sent me home on brand new discovery sport, called back in a few days when everything was done. Not a bit of scepticism, no "oh your warranty expired long time ago" crap... So even though whole event was quite unpleasant, i.e. discovering sloppy job, poor workmanship, they handled the situation... Well, the way they should have. I guess I can say they did it right by me.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yeah but see, that’s where I’m seeing the problem. Since you’re cpo with a warranty they are gonna be all nice and make you feel special. They have no problem doing the repairs and cover everything including the loaners because the dealer at the end of the day submits everything to the HQ and they get all the money they want. When the cpo is over they solely rely only on what you pay them. They can’t charge for a loaner since they themselves are not a rental company, so if they by chance give it to you for free then its money out of their pockets. To me main problem is what you said, they made you feel pampered even tho they messed up on what sounds like major repairs. Instead fixing it right and giving you the car in perfect condition and making sure no single bolt missing they throw loaners and make people think they well since they are so nice I feel confident they know what they are doing when In fact you pick up your car and not knowingly there could be another issue with it. No quality control on their work.

·
Registered
22 Posts
and a lady calls to tell me the timing light had come on again (first I’d heard of it) and they had checked the sensor and as it was new was fine and working, they confirmed the wiring was ok and the master technician said the only other thing could be the new chain was not fitted correctly so now needs stripping again to check..
By timing light they mean check engine light (CEL)? Can you ask what codes they are seeing? What sensor are they talking about?
Fitting the timing chain incorrectly can cause engine damage but it would be obvious if it had.

Maybe time to threaten with an attorney?

·
Registered
115 Posts
By timing light they mean check engine light (CEL)? Can you ask what codes they are seeing? What sensor are they talking about?
Fitting the timing chain incorrectly can cause engine damage but it would be obvious if it had.

Maybe time to threaten with an attorney?
Ditto. There is no "timing light" so I'm assuming they mean they are getting misfire codes, in which case they definitely did something wrong.

mik3ypl probably has it right, technician may have forgotten to pull the pin on tensioner. In fact, I happened to talk to a Land Rover tech when I was in the middle of doing my timing job and he actually recommended putting a bit of tension on the "blade" so that you get full extension on the tensioner itself. He said he has seen people pull the pins but not get full extension and the tensioner "hangs" in that spot.

Anyway, lots of places you could screw things up when doing this job. Just FYI Atlantic British has a terrific video on doing the job.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts