RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hell all
I am currently going through my engine. Replacing things that are tired etc...
I pulled my old timing chain and stupidly didn't examine exactly where everything was lined up.
I installed a new cam and now it is time to install the timing chain.
My question is this and if you could use laymans terms for guys like me, it would be much appreciated haha

If I read correctly through some rover forums and just some basic youtube vids on other models, when the crankshaft pin is straight up and down, the mark on the gear should line up with it?
There are no marks on small gear and just the notch to fit in the key, so it can only go on 1 way.
I will attach pic soon as it wont let me.
Thank you

·
Registered
88 Posts
Be sure to check the new gear’s alignment mark against your old one. My new gear didn’t match up so I used the old gear to align the cam the put the new one on. You can also just mark the new one with a marker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats a good idea. I will look.
But as far as my thinking, is it correct that when the crank key is straight up, the upper gear mark should be pointed right at it?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Is that not a dimple on the edge of the small gear about 10 o clock? Normally that lines up with the pointer on the big wheel.

Piston number 1 at TDC should put that dimple at the 12 o clock position iirc

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thats a good idea. I will look.
But as far as my thinking, is it correct that when the crank key is straight up, the upper gear mark should be pointed right at it?
Yes. Key pointing up, arrow on gear pointing down. Also make sure both valves on the #1 cylinder are in the closed position.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Start from scratch and time it.
No 1 at TDC, both valves on No 1 closed.
Will be obvious then what lines up with what. It normally is the dimples though......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts