RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have been doing some in-depth research regarding the timing change issue plaguing the RRS's.

I have read where LR corrected this issue for the 2012-2013 non-supercharged models.

Has anyone confirmed that this is accurate?

Thanks in advance.

Tom

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
A TSB was issued for the impacted VIN range. If the TSB has been completed then it is no longer an issue for that particular vehicle.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
128 Posts
Is this about replacing the plastic timing chain tensioner with a metal one? If so why are they only issuing a TSB for normally aspirated cars?
I have a supercharged 2012 RRS, assuming the TSB wasn't already done, would I have a plastic tensioner that needs changing?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I called LR USA and they advised that a TSB was not issued for a Timing Chain issue. There was a TSB for a heated windscreen that was take care of.
The build date was December 2012.

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
Is this about replacing the plastic timing chain tensioner with a metal one? If so why are they only issuing a TSB for normally aspirated cars?
I have a supercharged 2012 RRS, assuming the TSB wasn't already done, would I have a plastic tensioner that needs changing?
Pull up the text of the TSB that Umbertob posted and see which models and VINs were included.

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
Won't you be able to find out by calling the dealer to see if you are in the VIN range and if it was completed.
Had a friend in FFRR that had it replaced but still had the loud clanking, only when the engine was warm.

·
Registered
90 Posts
All 2010-2012 range rover and range rover sport models supercharged or naturally aspirated had this issue there were very few late 2012 builds that did not have this issue although it is very rare. 2013 was the year where they were not supposed to be affected although some owners still had the tensioners replaced.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Is this about replacing the plastic timing chain tensioner with a metal one?
To clarify, LR did not use a "plastic" tensioner. There are two arched guides made from aluminum that are thrust against the timing chain via oil driven tensioners that have steel push rods or plungers. There are 2 issues at hand:

1: First and worst, we have a steel rod pushing against an aluminum lever at a very low fulcrum. Lots of pressure and movement, and it's only a matter of time till the steel begins to dig into the aluminum. Boggles the mind someone didn't stop this obvious flaw.

2: The angle of attack for this steel push rod was also poorly thought out, not hitting the guide at a true 90 degrees. This allows the rod to dig into the aluminum even more aggressively. See #1.

LR's solution: Sometime in the run up to 2013MY, they revised both the guide and tensioner. The new guide now has a steel bearing plate where the tensioner contacts, providing much more wear resistance. Next, the tensioner has been redesigned to change its AOA to a more square on position. The mounting holes stayed the same, and these revised parts are the ones you will receive from the LR parts counter.

My son has a Ford Mustang 4.0L V6 from the FORD/Jaguar era, which recently grenaded its entire timing chain system. Something tells me Ford engineers didn't have a clue how to design timing chain systems, or the accounting folks stuck their nose in too far.

Here's an excellent video: https://youtu.be/yFXt2IBgRKc

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SaturnV,
Excellent information and attached video.

Quite a design flaw instigated by Ford.

Thank you for your input.

Tom

·
Registered
106 Posts
My pleasure. In the never-say-always department, if I ever have to buy these parts I will be sure to ask the counter man if what I am receiving are the revised versions and proceed to look at the guides to make sure the steel bushing/insert is present. We have a 2011 and my wife probably thinks I'm weird for putting my ear to her front grill every time she's about to pull through our drive! :D

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thank you, that's even more succinct. My memory is failing or I could have just linked to your post. Pardon me for being dense here, but are you saying in the original post that the 10-13MY 5.0Ls came with these improved parts from the assembly line?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys,
I'm in process of getting a 2010 supercharged RRS. Read some posts as well youtube videos that for 5.0 engine, the timing chain guides will surely be worn out and potentially blown up the engine by causing all valves/pistons etc gone.

Since as a precaution measurement, it's also expensive to replace the guides. Is there any way to detect it in early stage?

Well the engine clicking noise during idle is an indicator. And I heard people could also find cam position sensor error when they scan the codes.

Just wondering if I do quarterly fault code scan then I should be able to detect any early stage of timing chain guides/tensioner fail?

Cheers
Tom

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
231 Posts
No worries, Just tooting my own tensioner (trumpet)...Still amazing how many people on other forums imply that these
first tensioners were plastic and that's why they need replacing...oh well - they're just keeping the circle of misconception
alive and well!

·
Registered
106 Posts
You might have missed my question. Were these revised parts used on the 2010-2012 run, or did they just become available for the 2013 and subsequent parts counter issue?

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
231 Posts
Don't think these newer tensioners and blades were available until they determined that this timing noise was a common occurrence on
these newer 5.0 liter engines and had to be re-engineered and designed to prevent this failure and noise. Why some 2012 & 2013 already
have the newer tensioner/blades installed at the factory.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Don't think these newer tensioners and blades were available until they determined that this timing noise was a common occurrence on
these newer 5.0 liter engines and had to be re-engineered and designed to prevent this failure and noise. Why some 2012 & 2013 already
have the newer tensioner/blades installed at the factory.
So, am I correct in understanding that all 2013 models, irregardless of build date, have the update?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts