Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys after recently purchasing our 2016 L405 HSE w/ 5.0SC its time to do an oil change since we don't know when it was last done. So JLR calls for 0w20 Castrol pro, this oil seems wicked thin to me for such a big hard working engine. We run a lot of f150's in our fleet at work with 5.0's and they all call for 5w20.... given this is a ford 5.0 I'm leaning hard on going with 5w20 what is your all's opinion????

·
Registered
5 Posts
For my 2010 LR4, which has the non-SC 5.0 (but otherwise is the same Jag engine), it uses 5w20. But then again, the 2010 non-SC 5.0 had problems with the timing chain tensioners which are oil pressure driven, but was 'fixed' in later year versions of this engine. Perhaps as part of the 'fix' for the SC5.0 engine, they redesigned the tensioners, plus went with a thinner oil to flow better through the tiny tubes that provide lubrication to the timing chain?

But as far as my 2017 L405, I do use 0w20 and change every 3k with no issues yet (55k miles).

·
Registered
2013 Range Rover 5.0SC
17 Posts
I would run the spec called for by JLR and change it often. This engine is not like the 4.6/5.4 Ford engines that had timing chain issues. My previous F150 5.4 did not have issues, but I kept the oil clean.

Mine is changed every six months / 8,000 km, whichever comes first. With lockdowns I might get 3,000 km out of this last change. Oil is cheap, engines are not.

·
Registered
2015 Range Rover Sport SCV8 HSE Dynamic
570 Posts
all things being equal, 0w20 is better as it will circulate faster when your engine is cold.

·
Registered
2017 Range Rover Supercharged
20 Posts
I’m running LiquiMoly 0w20 LR Special Tec in my 2017 SC 5.0. Change every 5k (makes it easier to remember) and you should be good to go.
I ran Mobil1 0w20 in my previous Explorer which called for 5w20 up to 107k miles without any issues.

·
Registered
2019 Velar L560
76 Posts
I'm also running LiquiMoly 0w20 LR Special Tec in a 3.0SC engine, and after break-in the Blackstone oil analysis is recommending a 7500 mile OCI. During break-in over the first 20,000 miles, Blackstone had me changing the oil every 5,000 miles.

This is the easiest oil change ever if you use an extractor and the LM resulted in a noticeably quieter startup compared to the other oils in the proper JLR spec.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info guys, looks like ill be sticking with the 0w20 despite my hate for such thin oil..... LOL. So onto the next topic of this i see some of you run the liquimoly what's your opinion on that VS the factory 0w20 Castrol professional??

·
Registered
2015 Range Rover Sport SCV8 HSE Dynamic
570 Posts
Thanks for the info guys, looks like ill be sticking with the 0w20 despite my hate for such thin oil..... LOL. So onto the next topic of this i see some of you run the liquimoly what's your opinion on that VS the factory 0w20 Castrol professional??
LiquiMoly is a better oil than Castrol, for sure. A lot of the racing guys here in ZA will not touch Castrol

Reactions: Wsnowden21

·
Registered
2019 Velar L560
76 Posts
Here in the states it becomes a question of availability. The proper spec Castrol is only available at the dealer and none in my area will sell it to me (they get it in drums and not bottles or jugs).

FCP Euro (and perhaps other places) has a reasonably priced oil change kit with the proper LM oil and a filter.

Reactions: Ham Hands

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322, 2013 LR4 HSE Lux, 2019 RR L405 Autobiography LWB
41 Posts
Just use JLR 5122 spec oil. It’s available from Motul, LiquiMoly and Ravenol. Maybe others but those are the 3 I have used in our vehicles. Change every 7500 miles and it’s all good; 2013 LR4 >200k miles, 2011 L322 164k miles, 2019 L405 22k miles. None have had any internal mechanical issues.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well guys after recently purchasing our 2016 L405 HSE w/ 5.0SC its time to do an oil change since we don't know when it was last done. So JLR calls for 0w20 Castrol pro, this oil seems wicked thin to me for such a big hard working engine. We run a lot of f150's in our fleet at work with 5.0's and they all call for 5w20.... given this is a ford 5.0 I'm leaning hard on going with 5w20 what is your all's opinion????
I use Castrol magnatec 5w-20 on my 2015 L405 and change it every 6,000.

·
Registered
2019 Velar L560
76 Posts
If I was out of warranty, I don't know that I'd stress the oil spec too much. As best I can tell, the recent changes are related to keeping GDI motors clean and not mission critical stuff. You could run a good quality synthetic and get the intake cleaned every few years and probably be OK. I think it's much more important to run the proper weight and change it frequently (5,000 - 7,500 miles)

I'd also not worry too much about going to 5W20 if you live in a hot climate. JLR still recommends that weight in the North Africa/Middle East region.

Since I'm not out of warranty and it does deliver a quieter startup and good Blackstone analysis, I'll stick with the LM Special Tec for now.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
618 Posts
all things being equal, 0w20 is better as it will circulate faster when your engine is cold.
THIS! And allows full oil pressure build-up much quicker upon cold start-ups. 90% of engine wear happens upon the first start-up of the day I've always been told.

Reactions: naks

·
Registered
618 Posts
I ended up going with the liquimoly 0w-20 to JLR spec.
Perfect substitute product... If I can get 8 quarts of the LM and an OEM filter from FCEuro delivered for less than $220 then I'll switch to that my next oil change... I just changed mine last week. New engine has 12K miles and oil has been changed 4 times since with Castrol Pro 0w-20 and an OEM filter. Worth every penny as these engines are High Performance and have High Tolerances.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts