RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have just replaced for the second time the head gasket's on my P38 4.0L v8 GEMS engine. The first time I did this put it back together started first time no problems.

This time:It's been in bits for 5 months, the battery was low so recharged.
Still not firing ... I have followed the advice of other notes on the site i.e fob sync.. charged up battery, the engine chec light comes on. In the first instance checked all connections and turned the key to ensure fuel is getting through.

The only thing I question is the firing order and which is no:1 pot?
(I used no:1 at the front LHS as you stand in front of the engine. So firing order is 1,3,5,7, in the left bank & 2,4,6,8 in the right side)
I have also so seen notes on a scync mate but they seam rather expensive

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Tigger59

·
Super Moderator
2,313 Posts
Wrong way round. Number 1 is front left of the engine as seen from sitting in the drivers seat. So LH bank (right hand as you stand looking at it) is 1,3,5,and 7, while RH (left side as you stand in front of the car, is 2,4,6 and 8. Firing order is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 with cylinders connected to four double ended wasted spark ignition coils. Coil 1 feeds cylinders 1 and 6, coil 2 feeds cylinders 5 and 8, coil 3 feeds cylinders 4 and 7, and coil 4 feeds cylinders 2 and 3.

If you can sync the fob and the check engine light comes on with the ignition on, you don't need a sync mate as it is synced.

·
Super Moderator
2,313 Posts
That link shows something completely wrong. It appears to show a pair of coils (so Thor) and the cylinder numbering is from the back.

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
Wrong way round. Number 1 is front left of the engine as seen from sitting in the drivers seat.
thus the reason for my earlier link.. now if you can get the photo to upload, you probably should, it answers his coil numbering question as well.

·
Super Moderator
2,313 Posts
Like this

d4c1763.jpg

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
That link shows something completely wrong. It appears to show a pair of coils (so Thor) and the cylinder numbering is from the back.
Richard, not to sound rude have you even read his original post where he posted that he had a "P38 4.0 V8 GEMS engine" and he correctly posted the order of the odd numbered cylinders "as standing in front of the engine" same for the even numbered cylinders? he gave correct info "as standing in front of the engine". Why not follow along with the OPs viewpoint? driver's seat only confuses the situation because is from the UK. His only confusion was he didn't know the numbering for the dual coils and posted "which pot" he obviously meant post.

Then after I posted the link to the very simple drawing for cylinder numbers and coil numbers for the correct dual coils for his GEMS engine. You posted the Bosch single coil in line drawing, did you even click on the link Richard to see that it is entirely accurate for his "P38 4.0 V8 GEMS engine"?

Most importantly, in my confusions of your postings, Richard... did you even read the PM I sent you titled "he has a gems engine".

·
Super Moderator
2,313 Posts
Toad, also not wishing to sound rude but he posted that No 1 pot is on the LHS as you stand in front of the engine which it isn't. No 1 is on the RHS as you stand in front of the engine, or LHS as you sit in the drivers seat (and the drivers seat is always behind the engine no matter which side of the car you sit on). You also seem to be highly confused on the coils. He has a GEMS and a GEMS has 4 coils with the outlets in line, it is the Bosch that has the two square blocks as shown in the link you posted. Yes I read the PM you sent, he has a GEMS engine which is why I posted a diagram of the GEMS engine.

His question being worded "which pot" is exactly that, which cylinder not which post is how I read it as it is common to refer to a cylinder as a pot, hence referring to lesser vehicles as having a piddly little 4 pot motor. I'm not the one who is confused here......

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
the #1 cylinder on buick based rover engine is left hand when sitting in driver's seat, regardless if right or left drive.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Guys for the help.. I will be in my garage tomorrow and will put the advice in to practice.. Just to clarifiy when i said No:1 pot i mean the No:1 piston. The coil pack read as Richard G Jounior Rover has discribed. And yes It is Gems 4.0L as it has the pellum box with the 4.0 on it rather than the Thor bannana shape inlet...
I will let you know how I get on.. I have followed the link and printed of the simple diagram RRToad Hall sent. thanks again guy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts